New engine for a 1982 Malibu

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Well, i begin to look for a new engine for my car. So i tried to find a 4 bolt 350 SBC, but this engine is very rare here in Chile. My plan was to converter into an 383 stroker.
It is posible to do this with a 2bolt engine?, ist a 350 as well. A guy from here has a 350 sbc with 1 piece rear seal and 2 bolt main caps from a Silverado, it offer me the block with crankshaft and rods with KB pistons, the engine use a roller cam...

I have worked in car for years, but until now never make a attemp to modify one, i hope you guys could help me here..

Greetings from Chile...

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
Long as you don't do forced induction or set a new world record for highest RPMs a 2 bolt will be fine.

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
I want an engine with enough HP to show off a little an ocasional drag, but i use my car almost in an daily basis. I want an engine for long trips but with muscle...

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I've had many engines over the years, and can only think of 1 being a 4 bolt. One in my car now is only a 2 bolt. You will be fine with it...

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
first i'll say......... welcome fellow malibu owner........now that said,a 350 turned 383 is a great build and will give you more than enough power to show off a bit .........and perform very well at the drags too.....a studed two bolt would more than survive as a 383,however another option would be to convert it to a 4 bolt.........any good machine shop could do this for you pretty easily and would be as strong if not stronger than the factory 4 bolts..........and if your going to do it .......do it right the first time....i did the same for my son's lt 1 in his camaro and it turned out great..........if you could spare the money,i would go for a internally balanced crank.........just my opinion.....but as long as it's balanced good you should be fine....the one i did for my son with stock heads makes 410 hp at the tires at 6000 rpm with 430 ft tq ......and is externally balanced...good luck with the build and let us know how you make out ken from the u.s.

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
I was about to ask if it was possible to make such convertion. Could yoy give more details please.
The engine i see the other day came from a Silverado, it has 1 piece real seal... I would have to ask to the machine shop if they could internally balance the engine. About the kit i see many on ebay...

Thanks for all...

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
ok i was under the impression that you had a rotating assembly..... i.e crank rods and pistons.......if you have these you should check to see if it is a external or internal kit.......or was it all bought seperate...........if you are looking for a internal balanced kit,eagle has inexpensive 383 kits through summit racing........wich can be balanced internally.............you can use a lt 1 based kit as they are for 1 pc rear main seals, and as far as price it depends on what you want..........they range from $ 700.00 u.s and up.......so be realistic with what you want to do with the car,no reason to go to crazy with the build if you just want to show off a bit and or going to the track once in a while..........used the money for other things on the car.....so take it one step at a time ken

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
I have not bought anything yet, but the block will be my priority now. I want to do this step by step thats why i asked you for info and details.
I remember a site, Howards or something where they offered main caps and bolts for a SBC. Also i would like to purchase a bolt kit for the engine as well..

Thanks for all.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts