New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Next order of business….I bought a 100 inch long speedo cable and it’s all in place. I left the hold down clip free from the bellhousing for the time being. I can’t remember if the factory cable is 84 or 86 inches but I needed the extra length to reach the passenger side of the super t10 and I have plenty. While the column is still out I’d like to try to zip tie some of the slack up out of the way under the dash maybe? I also noticed brake pedal was about to fall off of the rod that pushes on the master cylinder while I was down there and the little cotter pin type thing was missing. We never messed with any of that since we’ve owned the car. The clutch pedal still had the pin on it but I noticed the entire thing had been rubbing up against what I assume is the horn relay after looking through the wiring diagrams and has been doing so for quite some time. The fuse panel is still in the stock location and has never been messed with and there’s not a ton of slop in the clutch pedal assembly.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I haven't seen a clip for the speedometer to the bellhousing before.

You won't be able to have any cable slack behind the dash; it is a very short run to the firewall.

The factory brake and clutch linkage clips look like hair pins.

The clutch linkage shouldn't be touching/rubbing anything. I can't imagine why yours would. I can't get at mine at the moment to take a picture. When I can, I can post it here.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I could’ve sworn I took that L shaped clip loose from bellhousing but it’s almost been a year since I started taking it all apart. I’ll grab a picture tonight of my clutch pedal and the horn relay and post it up so you don’t have to and see if you spot anything.
IMG_8496.jpeg

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Gotcha. The grommet is already in place. I’ll screw around with it more tonight

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Grabbed a picture of how close the clutch is to the horn relay (I assume). The fuse panel looks to be in the original location and we’ve never messed with anything pedal related since we’ve owned the car
IMG_8532.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Yes, that doesn't look right.

The clip on the clutch rod is the correct one. The cotter pin on the brake should be the same as the clip on the clutch pushrod.

If it's not too cold tomorrow, I will try and get a picture of under my dash (the car lives outside).

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Yep, I shoved the cotter pin in there, is that acceptable? I tried to fit a washer on too but to no avail. I have pretty small hands and had trouble contorting myself back in there lol. No rush on the picture, I’m still stuck waiting on my steering column since October. Stay in and stay warm

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Speaking of steering columns, I snapped this picture before I left. Do you know off the top of your head what size the 4 screws are that secure the column to the firewall. There was only one holding it in when I took it apart and it’s probably managed to get lost. I’m just going to buy 4 new ones.
IMG_8533.jpeg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts