Nitrous ,timing and MSD question ...

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
Ok,I have recently started to spray my motor and was told by my builder that his personal preference is to adjust timing off of the crank trigger not through the MSD Digital 6 Pink wire.The only reason my builder gave me not to use the Pink wire was he didn't trust electronics for timing.. Recently, I spoke to a pal of mine who has been racing and spraying large amounts of NOS over the years and told me to hook up the Pink wire and run it that way .He said to me that the car will be sluggish through the burnout and be like a fat pig when I stage because the timing is so retarded...What are some opinions on that?Thanks in advance .....

CHUMPCHANGEBU

Weekend Racer
Apr 30, 2011
LI,NY
not done personally by me but i do have friends with crank triggers and do all the timing throught the msd box but there usuing the 7531 msd box not sure if its the same as you. me on the other hand used a 6al box with an old msd timing controler and i would retard thee timing throught that and i would like to say i have never blown up an engine at all. everyone you speak too will offer you there opinion and advice. you have to do what makes you feel comfortable doing and what makes it safe for the nos tuneup fr your engine to last

bfurches

Daily Driver
Oct 20, 2011
Western, MA
Not super familiar with the digital 6...but what does the pink wire do? I am assuming when it sees 12v it retards timing a preset amount?

If this is the case, us the output side of your relay that powers your solenoids to energize the pink lead (or if the pink lead needs to see ground, run the output of the solenoid relay to another relay to reverse polarity).

This will allow you to keep full timing when you are not on spray in the burnout-box and while staging, but as soon as the solenoids are energized to spray, the pink lead in turn will tell the msd to drop timing...and off you go ;)

Best of both worlds.

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
We ran a small plate on my motor a while back and used an .073 jet that equates to about 175 h.p. worth of juice. My big block liked 40 degrees of timing and I yanked it back to 32 for the nitrous. The motor had no problem doing funny car type burnouts that the little maniac driving the car loved to do. I just dialed the timing back with the locked out distributor and tightened it down. If your afraid of the electronics just unplug the solenoids and activate the wot switch to check timing before you run it each pass. If you're not spraying that much, I don't see anything wrong with our "old school" method. If it won't do a burnout with water on the tires and a few degrees of timing out of it, it sure aint makin' much beans. I've never ran a crank trigger so I don't know exactly how you would retard the timing with it. Seems it would be a lot of trouble to move the pickup on it all the time. If you run a bunch of juice, I don't see any way around trusting the electronic timing retards. Keep in mind, the computer you're typing on is about 100 times more powerful than the ones they used to make the movie Star Wars, this is 2011.

folkenheath

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2004
SE Wisconsin
I use the pink wire, works fine. But definitely test it first with a light before you start spraying it. It will run perfect as long as your rotor/pickup aren't out of phase.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!