piston slap or lifter gone bad??????... video

slim69

Amateur Racer
Mar 7, 2009
Henderson, ky
i bet its in the valve train either a pushrod , lifter or even a bad rocker or cam id pull the valve covers and roll the motor over and get each valve closed and find which rocker has slop in it and go from there

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
checked the rockers one was lose by 1/4 turn... had no effect on the noise... :?

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
malibu795 said:
checked the rockers one was lose by 1/4 turn... had no effect on the noise... :?

Engine running and warmed up, loosen rocker arm nut one at a time until it starts ticking and then tighten back down SLOWLY until noise quits and go about 1/8-1/4 turn past that and move to the next one.

Have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to the carb yet to see if it jumps around or reads steady?
http://www.centuryperformance.com/tuning-with-a-vacuum-gauge-spg-148.html just a quick reference....

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
lurchsmalibu said:
malibu795 said:

Engine running and warmed up, loosen rocker arm nut one at a time until it starts ticking and then tighten back down SLOWLY until noise quits and go about 1/8-1/4 turn past that and move to the next one.

Have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to the carb yet to see if it jumps around or reads steady?
http://www.centuryperformance.com/tuning-with-a-vacuum-gauge-spg-148.html just a quick reference....
vaccum holds steady are 20inHG are 800rpm

i can re-check then rockers arm nuts... though the more you move them then less then want to stay put... already had to re-place the nuts twice already.... studs are not moving they are lock tighted in.

no signs of bent push rods.. i also re-place with comp cam 3/8s rod to handle the K-800 springs pressures when i put the motor together

if you like i can get a video with a tach read out tomorrow.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts