POR 15 on my 12 bolt

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
Well, i got tired of having my 12 bolt sit around with undercoating on it. So, i went and had the tubes welded and had them put it on a jig to make sure it was true. Good thing i did cause the right tube was slightly out. So, now i have a nice and true rear to start with. I got it back and scrapped it clean and the scrubbed it with Purple power and a scotch brite. I then went and took the POR 15 that i have had forever sitting there and applied it to the rear and it came out looking pretty sharp. All it took me was a day to do all of this after i got it back from the shop. I might add that if youget this stuff on you it takes forever to get it off. Well, now it is getting put together and i will have it back next week for the install.

I am having 33 spline axels tuff axels and full light weight spool and c-clpis installed in it and 4.11 gears. All new brakes on it and then i get to put her in. I can't wait to see the difference in the times and how much this will change what little street manners she has now. Here are some pics of the rear before assembly. What do you all think?
DSC02392.jpg

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02393.jpg

DSC02395.jpg

DSC02396.jpg

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
I've always heard that POR15 was good stuff,those pics look great!!!!!!!
How did you apply the product ? Thanks,Dave

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
Well, i used a 3" paint brush and applied it really thin the first caot making sure that i hit every spot. Then on the second coat i applied it pretty thick making sure to leave it nice and smooth. I would work pretty fast cause the stuff likes to try and harden on the brush after awhile. I poured just what i thought i needed in a seperate container and used that to apply. You don't ever want to pour the unused back in the quart it will shorten the life of it. I used a small tuperware container. With saran wrap between the lid and bowl otherwise they can fuse together and you will never get them apart again. You can spray this if you don't mind ruining a gun. I stood mine up and strapped it up with bungy cords to my garage door tracks and did it that way i could hit the whole thing at once.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I heard the same thing that is why i painted mine.

A

Anonymous

And hope you don't ever have to remove it, it's a big b!tch to get that stuff off.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I think with my rear end being under the car it shouldn't need the top coat. I hope anyways.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
looks awesome! i don't know why people don't take the extra time to do stuff like that. it makes such a huge difference when you look under the car and see a clean rearend housing vs an old rusty one. i did the same thing to the 8.5 i picked up. looks like new.

what gear ratio were you running before? you were running as quick as 11.90's before the rearend change, right?

scuba_steve's_bu

Frequent Racer
Apr 9, 2009
Rock Rapids, Iowa
POR 15 is very nice stuff. we sell the heck out of it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts