Question about the useability of old race tires.....

killer406

Amateur Racer
I recently got a set of BFG Comp T/A R1's for next to nothing. They're new with stickers, but quite old. I think from around the very late 90's - early 2000's. I can still catch a thumb nail in them, but they are pretty stiff (the way they're supposed to be? or because they're old?). So much that I think mounting them might be kind of a pain. I realize they're not gonna be as good as they were when brand new, but I'd love to try them at a track day. Like I say, I don't have much wrapped up in them, but I'd rather not have to change tires at the first track day because they turned out to be junk. So, Should I try them out? Or chalk it up as a waste of time?.......... :-k

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Old tires are geat....

For tire walls at the track...

Why risk the hassle?

Tommy

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
LS6 Tommy said:
Old tires are geat....

For tire walls at the track...

Why risk the hassle?

Tommy

Tommy

X2
I got some nice (99% tread) used tires off of a friends show car once with probably 3000 miles on them for free that were 11 yrs old. With my daily normal street driving the side walls cracked badly and the rubber around the bead was separating quick. With the track time you (killer406) do, you might wreck it unless you just want to burn them off while doing some figure 8's..........if so, get video! :lol:

killer406

Amateur Racer
Yeah, at this point I'm not gonna mess with them. Although mounting them up and burning them down to the belts sounds like a great idea.......

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts