Rack and pinon

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Some on here are using r&p, but I think they're aftermarket manual units on race cars.

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
blumonte said:
Anyone ever tried using one from a mustang? If so what kind of results where had?
I'd expect to spend some time getting the bumpsteer corrected, and that doing so could involve rack height, bumpsteer "kits" at the steering arms, different caster settings, or any combination. The reason for this is that I doubt that any commonly available rack has inner tierod pivots as narrowly spaced as the inner tierod to centerlink attachments on the G-body are, so bumpsteer HAS to end up different. I don't know whether it might get better than what you have already or worse, only that it would certainly be different.

Norm

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That was my thought, but I wasn't entirely sure on the inner workings of r&p. I figured it was similar to the original center link on the G-Bodies (just encompassing the steering box/idler arm in one unit), but wanted a second opinion before I'd say anything.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
The Mustang rack will work, but as said before, the tie rods are too wide so you'd always have a bump steer issue, you'd need to have the rack narrowed in order to correct it. We make a manual rack / pinion kit that uses a narrowed pinto-style rack that pivots in the correct location. http://trzmotorsports.com/319.html#steering is the link

The kit includes everything needed, but can be split up if needed also.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
Our business is based on street / strip cars that are focused on drag racing. The rack we use suits their needs very well in terms of driveability, bump steer, and reduced weight on the track, so we haven't really looked into other types.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts