Rear bump stops - Worth putting on new housing?

The_Madness

Mar 14, 2014
I have a large web Ford 9" housing that I had set up for a G-body by Bud at Continental Competition in Uniontown, PA. When we were discussing what all I wanted on it, he had mentioned that "most guys" he builds housings for don't run the rear bump stops. I figured to just leave the mounts for them off and not worry about it.

However, it didn't occur to me at the time that the calipers of the Explorer disc brakes that I'll be running may come into contact with the frame rail when the rear suspension is under a significant amount of compression. Plus, the axle is 57.5" WMS-to-WMS instead of the stock 58" so that only one of the axle shafts that I already had would need to be cut and re-splined.

My concern is mainly centered around issues with the tires (275/60/15 Nitto 555Rs on 15x8 Draglites w/ 3.5" BS) rubbing the fender lips upon launch at the drag strip or the caliper/caliper bolts hitting the frame under the same conditions. The factory pinion snubber will still be in place, but I don't see it having much effect in this situation.

How necessary are the rear bump stops for street/strip use? And should I bother with putting mounts for them on the new housing before I put it in the car?

I was thinking of running a set of air bags in the rear springs until I put in a better sway bar (which is not in the budget right now) . Will they be enough to prevent any rubbing/contact/bottoming out situations?

Thanks in advance.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I think of it as metal to metal contact... As in beating the frame with a sledgehammer if it ever makes contact. The snubber would absorb some of that energy.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts