rear end question

elcaminoss84

Frequent Racer
Sep 26, 2009
Oklahoma
i was wondering what would i have to do to be able to put a 90's caprice 8.5 rear end in a malibu. since i can find the caprice or b body rear ends all day long at the salvage yards?

elcaminoss84

Frequent Racer
Sep 26, 2009
Oklahoma
so im guessing nobody has ever try to do a caprice rear end into a malibu before. my other question is if i got a caprice 8.5 rear end and cut the axle tubes off right at a inch away from the center section on both side. then cut the axle tubes off on the 7.5 rear end in the malibu. and welded the 7.5 axle tubes on the 8.5 would that work? then i would just need to spend money on axles for a gbody to fit the right spline for the caprice 8.5.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IIRC, the trailing arms are mounted differently on a B-body axle & I don't think anybody makes conversion arms for that application.

Tommy

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
You wouldn't want to Butt Weld the Tubes either. You would need to press the old Tubes out of the Center Housing & replace with new Tubes. Not an easy job.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I sell the upper controls arms for the center section conversion. We build housing and axle package for your g-body 450.00 gets you a housing and axles. The upper control arms are 140.00 a set. MOSER ENGINEERING AXLES. You will be able to use all your stock G-body brakes and will be stock width drum to drum and if you need to you can use stock GN axle in the housing...

For the guy that said butt welding was not strong...How do you think Moser housing ends are installed??? The complete weight of the car sits on the bearing...which is the welded on part...

But to but weld the tube with out any jig or narrowing bar would be very risky.

Best to buy it done and if you want to install the guts from a caprice that will work. There really is no way around spending money for good strong parts. Cheap upgrade leads to failed parts MOST of the time.

Jim
PM if interested in anything.

Attachments

• rears 034.jpg
    rears 034.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • rears 009.jpg
    rears 009.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,216

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Jim, I don't see "Butt Welding isn't strong" Posted anywhere. :?

Read the OP's 2nd Post above. That's not how you shorten or replace Tubes. That's all I was referring to. :)

Todd

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts