Removing the Intake and Dist.??

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
I need to remove my intake on my 355. My question is what do I need to do to insure the dist. goes back in like its suppose to? . Ive seen them get off a tooth or two going back in and cause all kinds of issues. My thought was this:

take the cap off and mark where the rotor button is in relation to the dist and then try to hit that mark going back in with it? is my thought process off or is there something else that can be done that is a better plan?

Any assistance would be great and thanks in advance!

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
That's right. It's a good idea to put the crankshaft at TDC at cylinder 1's firing position, then mark where the rotor is, in relation to the distributer housing. Then mark where the distributer housing is, in relation to the intake manifold. If you are swapping intakes, you can still use the mark on the old intake to get the timing very close to where it was. You will probably have to fiddle with the oil pump driveshaft position when putting the distributer back in. Look on the bottom of the distributer gear to see how it engages. It can be a pain to get it in the right spot if you have never done it before, but be patient, when you get everything lined up right, it'll just drop right in.

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
tiedyemike8 said:
That's right. It's a good idea to put the crankshaft at TDC at cylinder 1's firing position, then mark where the rotor is, in relation to the distributer housing. Then mark where the distributer housing is, in relation to the intake manifold. If you are swapping intakes, you can still use the mark on the old intake to get the timing very close to where it was. You will probably have to fiddle with the oil pump driveshaft position when putting the distributer back in. Look on the bottom of the distributer gear to see how it engages. It can be a pain to get it in the right spot if you have never done it before, but be patient, when you get everything lined up right, it'll just drop right in.

Thanks for the feedback. That was pretty much my plan. Sadly im not replacing the intake I am fishing for a nut that got dropped in it. Had rags in the intake but somehow one still found a way in.....sighs

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I always try bump the starter to get the rotor pointing directly at the firewall ( after the cap is pulled ) then as you pull it out pay close attention as the rotor will be pointing at the fender. As long as you dont touch the key you can point the rotor back at the fender and the dist will drop right back in place and line up with the oil pump and you don't have to re-set the timing. If it doesn't drop back in then go back and forth 1 tooth at a time until it drops in place.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
80Bu355 said:
tiedyemike8 said:

Thanks for the feedback. That was pretty much my plan. Sadly im not replacing the intake I am fishing for a nut that got dropped in it. Had rags in the intake but somehow one still found a way in.....sighs

If that's the case, I wouldn't roll the motor over at all. I don't know how big or small the nut is, but you wouldn't want it bending a valve or dinging up a combustion chamber. Use a flexible magnetic pick up tool, and fish down through the intake with it. I would spend a couple hours doing that before I tore into things.

Also, make sure the nut didn't find it's way to the floor or something. I'd hate to tear into things to find out nothing fell in anyway!

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
tiedyemike8 said:
80Bu355 said:
tiedyemike8 said:

If that's the case, I wouldn't roll the motor over at all. I don't know how big or small the nut is, but you wouldn't want it bending a valve or dinging up a combustion chamber. Use a flexible magnetic pick up tool, and fish down through the intake with it. I would spend a couple hours doing that before I tore into things.

Also, make sure the nut didn't find it's way to the floor or something. I'd hate to tear into things to find out nothing fell in anyway!

Yeah it was one of the nuts that held the Q-jet down. I bought a couple different flexable magnets and tried for sometime and some other people took a crack at fishing as well with no luck. Even looked on the ground and such to make sure it didnt go down in the intake but im 99.9% sure it did. I just hope i can get away with only having to take the intake off and not having to pull a head. Ive head of guys having to take the head off sometimes.

Thanks again for all the advice fellas and the adventure should start this weekend lol dancin_banana.gif

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
I marked where the rotor was on the dist. husing then I actually took a picture of it with my phone and when I put it all together it fired right up. Sounds silly but it worked...

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer
Sikmalibu said:
I marked where the rotor was on the dist. husing then I actually took a picture of it with my phone and when I put it all together it fired right up. Sounds silly but it worked...
=D>
Not silly at all, we tell people all the time to take pictures off stuff so that they will have a reference when they go back together with it.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
So...where did you find the lost bolt/nut?

bukweet

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts