Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Good info on the site :D

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I don't think it is a matter of whether or not the manufacturer did a good job, they just reproduced the not-so-common early design fork. I have had many forks and one looked just like the reproduction. Therefore, I believe the odd one was an early design (i.e., early 1978), which would not surprise me since there were other parts in the 1978 model year that changed midyear (e.g., lower pushrod). So, the reproduction fork should have the proper geometry. The difference is that in the reproduction, the bend occurs closer to the release bearing so the bend does not seem so extreme. The lower pushrod pocket should end up in the same place.

Why did GM change the fork design in mid 1978 to move the bend closer to the pushrod pocket? That is the 64 million dollar question.

In 1978, they should have just moved the window and used a straight fork, which they finally did in 1982 in the F body (14037657), but it was too late for the G body.

2000LS1

Daily Driver
Aug 6, 2009
Ohio
www.4speedconversions.com
Thanks Doober. I will post some more pictures and info when I get a chance. I threw the pics on in a hurry.

As for t5montecarlo great info. That's why I joined this site. I have three forks and they are all like the black one. The reason I put the two different styles on the straight edge, was to show that the center of both forks line up with the pivot points and should work.
Without an original 1st design I can't state that they exist on my site. But will mention what you said. It does fit in the clutch fork hole real nice. I was confused why they would build the bearing end nearly right on then screw up the easy end, Your input would explain this.
If anyone bolts one of the repo forks on their car before I can I'd appreciate hearing and seeing results so I can update my site.
Thanks again

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
I think you're right on the early design idea Marc.........that fork is identical to the one that was in my son's '78 Elky.

jazzbo

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2008
Lebanon, Tn
I know the info is on here on how to do it but is it that hard? I know finding all the pieces isnt the easiest but going from an automatic to a stick is what I want. Which manual trans is the easiest swap?

2000LS1

Daily Driver
Aug 6, 2009
Ohio
www.4speedconversions.com
The info is here. The site http://www.garage-scene.com is the one that got me interested.
Easy depends on you, your tools an what you want to accomplish.
I love working on cars and have a lift transmission jack etc. for me it is easy.
Factory parts are the easiest way to go. But some of the factory parts aren't made for a muscle car.

For instance an aluminum bellhousing without some kind of shield isn't the safest way to go. Even though my 69SS 396-375 H.P, came from the factory with an aluminum bell.
The original drive shaft looks like a twig compared to shafts I've ripped in two.

But I personally do not enjoy a muscle car without a standard shift and think a conversion to manual shift is well worth it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts