seats

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The factory seat mounts are raised off the floor a little bit... I'd like to say 1"-1¼".

78mali350

Amateur Racer
Nov 12, 2008
Helena, AR
So is it necessary to have the new seats with that same space? is there a reason other than you'll be sitting an inch lower?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Depends on where the new seat mounts fall. Since I reused the stock (at least what I believe were stock) G-Body tracks in mine, they bolted right up to the outside mounts (car originally had a bench). My dad cut some aluminum spacers for me at work, they seemed to sit ok but I think they're a little crooked.

78mali350

Amateur Racer
Nov 12, 2008
Helena, AR
Thanks for the help doober, seems like i have more research to do

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
78mali350 said:
JuniorJ said:
They will work, but you have to adapt bucket seat tracks from a gbody to those seats. or make spacers for the impala seats and drill new holes in the floor pan and re-inforce the bottom side of the holes you drilled.

Is the spacers due to a height difference? I am going from a bench to buckets so I assume I'll have to drill new holes no matter what. What causes the issues with the different seat tracks? Sorry, I have limited knowledge on this.

Most newer seats are about 2-2 1/2'' shorter than the older seats.That is why the spacers are neede, but if you are taller you might like the lower seats. Also some of the newer GM cars have seat tracks the hook in the front and bolt down in the rear.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
JuniorJ said:
Most newer seats are about 2-2 1/2'' shorter than the older seats.That is why the spacers are neede, but if you are taller you might like the lower seats. Also some of the newer GM cars have seat tracks the hook in the front and bolt down in the rear.

The seat tracks from my wifes 03 Impala are like this, they hook in the front with 2 bolts to hold them in place and sit almost flat at the back. They are much more comfortable than the seats in my Monte for sure and hold you in better as well. Swapping seats is trial and error. At one time we swapped the full buckets and console from an early 80's grand prix into a 4 door Malibu. Looked good when it was done but there was a lot of trial and error trying to get the bucket seats to sit up straight. Ended up with a couple of brackets and some spacers to make it work.

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
axisg said:
JuniorJ said:

The seat tracks from my wifes 03 Impala are like this, they hook in the front with 2 bolts to hold them in place and sit almost flat at the back. They are much more comfortable than the seats in my Monte for sure and hold you in better as well. Swapping seats is trial and error. At one time we swapped the full buckets and console from an early 80's grand prix into a 4 door Malibu. Looked good when it was done but there was a lot of trial and error trying to get the bucket seats to sit up straight. Ended up with a couple of brackets and some spacers to make it work.

The only bad thing about the newer seats is that the foam breaks down too fast.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts