Shift Pattern

442force

Daily Driver
Oct 13, 2009
Middletown Nj
been pulling out my hair. i have a regular style shift pattern th350 (foward pattern) its full manual

now are foward and reverse style shifters the same setup?

i have a hurst qaurter stick. and looked in the hurst catlouge and its the same shift design for a foward and reverse. soo what gives.

does anyone make it so you cant over shoot 2nd and slide into 3rd. or is it just a hurst thing. im not looking to kick the shifter into second but it doesnt seem cleanly thought out

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
the shifters are the same... only dif is when 1 and 3rd come on at..

reverse beign PRN123
forward beign PRN321

your not changing the selector shave in the transmission so the shifters naturally remain the same. minus the gear indicator on the shifer

ratchet style... smake it once for each gear... it will only move one detent no mater how hard you hit it..
iirc Z-gate is similar

442force

Daily Driver
Oct 13, 2009
Middletown Nj
heard ratchet shifter is a no no unless you like fumbling for awhile . yea so that settles my debate i guess then its the same being a full manual i need the ease of rowing the gears

has anyone made a detend for them to aid it the stopping part

im going to look at it tonight

thank you sir

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
i have contemplate on making my th400 a manual with reverse pattern...

that way backing up/pullign forward i didnt/wouldnt have to ratchet through the gears

driven a forward pattern on the road... aint bad.. in a light vehilce

442force

Daily Driver
Oct 13, 2009
Middletown Nj
yea never thought about that being a b*tch to get through the gears.

oh well next trans ill do that way lol im just excited to run this thing . new experience from fast 5spd fox bodys

thank you again

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Hurst Quartersticks are not the same for forward and reverse patterns. Different part numbers. The reverse pattern shifter is #3160001 and the forward pattern shifter is #3160006. I had to sell my forward pattern shifter and buy a new one when I went to reverse pattern. I think they can be used but they don't work as designed when you use the wrong one. I believe the B+M can be converted to work either way. Lee

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Those part numbers are for the original Q/Stick with the ball. The pistol grip #'s are different. Lee

442force

Daily Driver
Oct 13, 2009
Middletown Nj
racecar77 your absolutley right . it wierd that the hurst book said differently

and the numbers are 1 for reverse and 6 for foward on the pistol grips

looks like il be buying a new shifter whoa is me. pistol grip or ball? hmm

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I have the Pistol Grip Hurst. I think the Quarter Stick is similar. I have a reverse manual TH400. My part number said forward pattern. Got it on craigslist down the road from me for $75 brand new w/ cover no cable. Me and the trans guy looked it over for a little while. What you need to do is when you shift from 1st to 2nd keep the handle pulled in and you can't accidently pull it into 3rd. I've used it this way for a year now works great.

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
Seen a video awhile back. Gto with a lightning stick? Hurst. On a turbo 400..
Never miss shift. P,r,n,1. 2. 3. On different levers.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts