Shift Points

A

Anonymous

Hitman said:
My combo has gotten a little goofy right now, because I have a spragless convertor and "small" 14x31 tires, but I can guarantee when my car was at it's absolute best, I ran a 14.5W tire, a convertor that went 6100 on the brake, and crossed at 6900. The engine in my car moved a total of 800 rpm from start to finish. I won S/Pro and Pro Championships that year..in a 10.30 doorslammer. Keeping the engines rpm range within a smaller window sure helps consistency.

Right now, with the spragless convertor and small tires...it's a decent car, but I've got some money to spend over the winter to get it back good. I've spent time driving a dragster that stalls at 6400 and crosses at 7400, with 1 shift at 1.9 seconds.

hitman,

I am looking into going spragless. Did you like the change? How did it screw up your combo?

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
All of the results that I have heard from a few local racers who tried a spragless converter were not very good at all. Not saying that they are not any good for the right combination, but these guys are pretty good bracket racers and it slowed their cars way down.

So far I agree with all of the stuff that Goob has posted about converter stuff.

A

Anonymous

cutlass,

not trying to be a butt. but all the info i have gotten on spragless so far as been 3rd party....my buddy did this are a friend of a friend etc etc. So I am hoping Hitman will let me know from his first had experience.

thanks guys

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Yeah I hear ya, lol, my info is still 3rd hand to you I know. One of the cars was a low 10 second N/A small block car with a PG trans 4.10 gear, etc. This guy in particular spoke to Trans Specialties directly (the company really pushing the worth of the spragless stuff in their ads in National Dragster); he described his entire setup to them, spent the big dollars on the converter, installed it and the car instantly became a slug. 60fts dropped .3, 1/4 ET dropped .5 MPH dropped 4 and you can imagine how unhappy the guy was. TSI tried to restall it and make it better a couple of times and it never got anywhere near his old converter. He went around and around with them on the phone for most of this year and as far as I know has not gotten any money back from them. Just a little FYI for ya :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

I can use it I have an ATI that I just switched to. and it is a major POS need loosened up again (twice) in 2 months only has maybe 30 runs on it and they want to charge me again. not to mention they say my gear is why the converter won't work huh???

so needless to say i am looking for someone to restall the ati other than ati
especially since the three other companies i talked to said that i need in the neighborhood of 6000 stall ati says their 4500 will work with more gear :-k

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
Since I put it in...the car ran basically the same, maybe a fuzz slower, but it's just not been as consistent as my other convertor. Both were transmission specialties convertors by the way.

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey
Off base a little but I was shifting at 7000 going 9.80s a couple of times and was told to slow it down to 10.0s. (don't have nhra license) Friend of mine said if you shift at 6000 with no other changes you will be right there. He was right my next 3 runs were 10.05, 10.06 and 10.04. I would have though it would have down on the et more then that but I was wrong.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts