should I get a 5.3L?

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Hey guys,

I'm looking at putting an LS motor in my El Camino. It is going to be a slow accumulation of parts then I'll do it all at once (need a 4L60 and a 12bolt). I just found a 40K mile 5.3L locally that is complete and running. I was kind of hoping for a 5.7L or 6.0L because I felt with such a heavy car I should have a larger engine. I've been taking my time on this because around here it seems like everyone wants 8K+ for a running complete engine and over 2K for a long block. I found a 5.3L with the LS1 top end (long block with a manifold nothing else) for 1200 but this one is all stock with everything for 500.

What would you guys do? I know you can make some power with these but am I going to be in the same boat as my 305? I don't want to have a small gutless wonder under the hood and I'd rather not have to spend through the nose for forced induction to get the thing to move.

Any advice is welcome :)
Jess

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
go to http://www.car-part.com Use a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L engine assembly and search by distance from zip code. Bet you can find one cheaper than you think. Also, don't be too scared of mileage with motors, 75k on a LSX is like 25k on an old sbc LOL A bone stock 5.3L with headers only should make about 300hp maybe a little more. That will really wake a car up especially compared to a stock 305 that only made 150hp when new.

MNMCSS

Feb 19, 2012
I am in the process of a 5.3 swap, these are a very common swap. The 5.7 in my opinion is not worth the extra cost, over a 5.3 or even a good priced 4.8 for that matter. Headers and a good tune you will be over 300 at flywheel with the 5.3, Granted yes the 5.7 is bigger displacement but the numbers are so close that I dont see the extra cost for them being of value they are within 20hp I believe. And as stated above look around at salvage yards and see what the options are. On a side note for thought, the 5.7 is an aluminum block, the 5.3 standard engine is not. There are 5.3 aluminum options but they are again more money. What is your goal?

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Well right now my 305 is pretty much maxed out, I did a a full rebuilt about 10 years ago and I'm just sick of it and my TH350 and peg leg rear. I keep thinking if I start with a new 12 bolt with better gears I'd be a little happier. Then I can do an overdrive and an engine last. But realistically I'd like to just switch it all over so I don't have to do anything twice and it'd be easier to do it all at once while the car is apart.

The goal with the new engine is to have something that I don't have to tune all the time, gets a lot better mileage than the 305 and can smoke the tires and basically scare small children hahaha. I wouldn't mind having something with 300-400HP or at least the option of getting to ~400 later with bolt ons or a cam and head swap. I have a Camaro right now as my DD and it weighs around the same as my Elky but has better gears an overdrive and 215HP stock. It is a fun car but could use more power too I wish it had a LS1 :)
Jess

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Nothing wrong at all with 5.3s. Heads cam intake cars with 5.3s make good power.

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
the trucks the 5.3l come in weigh alot more than your elkie.... and they move out great!

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
I would be willing to bet my 5.3 shortbed 2wd truck will outrun your elky now and mine is stock. And if you search hard enough you can find them cheap. A 70,*** mile 5.3 around my area is about 400 for an engine or about 900 for engine,computer,harness. If there that expensive by you i would have one shipped from someplace else or try finding a crashed truck you can buy from someone. You see crashed trucks on craigslist for sale or for partout once and a while around here. If i didnt already have my 6.0 i would save the money and get a 5.3 but i plan to run forced induction so i wouldnt be at a big loss with one.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
I ran a 13.4 with a completely stock 5.3l in my 79 el camino with 342 gears and sticky tires.....................

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Wow thats cookin with a stock 5.3. I think im taking my truck to the strip this spring to see what it does stock before i tune it and add headers.I think i can get a low 15 out of it. And its got 3.23 gears and 30 inch tall tires.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
look into the l33 5.3, alum motor, (2005 silverado 1500, vin "b" ) it has the vette heads on it and 10 to 1 compression, flat top pistons, better rods and timing chain. you can probly find one complete for 900 bucks.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts