should I get a 5.3L?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
yeah I was very happy with my times and that was my only good pass so who knows maybe I could have done better than that. I only made 3 passes that night one without the lights on, then that pass then spun real bad on the last pass.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
This is good news to hear, my 305 just took a turn for the worse this last weekend. Not sure if its a cracked head/block or a head gasket...lots of brown sludge in the valve covers now.

My only problem now is trying to get all the parts and pieces to get something together. I think I can get a 5.3 motor for under $1000, and I'm pretty sure I can find a 4L60E cheap as well. I'm now only stuck on what the heck do I need to make this all run and what can I take off without making it not work?

Any good books or sites I should look at or just go flying into it blind and ask a lot of question on here? haha
Jess

SLICK78

Dragway Regular
Aug 1, 2009
La Porte, Tx
read up on here and ls1tech.com

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
doing the swap is super easy man, if you want inbox with any questions you have Ill help you out as much as I can.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Thanks for all the advice guys its making me feel a little better about this all.

I was looking at the older 5.3s because I am a little confused on this drive by wire stuff, can you convert it to a different throttle body and use a cable or do you just have to mount the right pedal in the car? Also I have aftermarket gauges in the car, can I just use a new speedo that is electric to work with a new trans? I figure I can can get the motor and install it but the little stuff is what worries me more. Like I'll overlook something and end up having to pay a ton to get something minor later.

I'm starting to look into buying a motor and trans out of a wreck from a yard. Anything I should really know when I go take a look? And anything in particular that I should really make a point of grabbing?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
I would get a drive by cable motor if you dont want to have to use the drive by wire setup which is either 02 or 03 and down. the drive by wire isnt that crazy you just have to get the gas petal out and mount it to your firewall either way it really isnt that hard to do

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
It will be harder to find mabey but look for a 2wd truck with the 5.3 and auto. Pull the motor trans[4l65e] and computer and harness.If its drive by wire pull ther gas peddle also. And get the complete front accessory drive or you will pay as much for that as the motor.lol . You will prob end up using a aftermarket harness but you can have the stock one modified or sell it. Also get the exhaust manifolds and you got 60 to 80 bucks or better from the turbo guys.The pan will hang down but can be cut shortened to fit better,not optimal, or sold for about another 50 bucks. Anything off these motors has value so dont throw out anything. I learned that the hard way with mine. And if you need i have a cable throttle body off my 99 6.0 i might let go cheap if you want to change from a dbw style. It can be tuned out of the computer i believe.Or just sell all the injection and put a holley a msd 6010 coil controller and an older th350 or 700r4.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts