Soft or Firm compound?

A

Anonymous

I have some 15x8 rims and I measured out that 9x26 slicks would fit under the car, I can not find any MTs that are that size. I found some Hoosiers, they say they are the softest compound, is that good or bad? I am not sure what would work best for my application.

Edit:
I realized I know nothing about ordering tires, I measured that a 9 inch tired would fit, I guess I should order 9" sidewall width?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
If you had 9" of clearance overall, then yes, you'd want the sidewall width.

Is this a stock G Body? If so, you can fit a bigger tire under there.

The very soft compounds will hook well, but they wear down substantially faster than the firm or medium compounds do.

A

Anonymous

The rear end is one of those fake 12 bolts and it is a little wider than stock, the rims are 4.5 backspaced. I didn't really see much more fitting.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Take a look in the wheel/tire section. Unless you're limited by gearing, I'd go with at least a 28" tire.

A

Anonymous

I met this guy that is a MT dealer today, he can get me et drags for about $30 cheaper than mail order each. So instead of going with the Hoosiers that I know will fit I am gonna try to remeasure and maybe go with 26x8.5 or 28x9.

The problem is the rearend in the car is about three inches wider than stock, the rims I have are 4.5" backspaced. I don't want to shorten the rear end and buy new axles for it, if I did that I would just go with a 9". I am in a bad situation, try to make a little upgrade and get faced with the old 'To do it best I need to upgrade this and this and this'. I am gonna figure it out, thanks for your help.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
3 inches wider than stock is fine. Most guys will 15x8's with 3.5 backspacing to begin with, so you should be able to still run a 28x9.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts