stock vacuum advance?

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
Ok I've read the great sticky on this topic but I'm left with one question. On my stock 78 malibu with a 305 the vacuum advance runs from the port on my carb to the switch in the thermostat housing which then goes to the distributor. From what I've read the switch controls the amount of vacuum advance depending on coolant temp and is mainly there to lower emissions. Since I'm after performance mainly can I bypass this switch and run a vacuum line straight to the distributor from the carb?

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
:lol: It would be best to even if you were NOT looking for performance. Unless you have replaced that thermal switch it has probably been non working for the past 10+ years.

How is your car running now?

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
my car is running pretty good, I replaced the distributor cap and coil and wires but the rest of it is original so I eventually need to replace it. I haven't checked my timing yet but I notice the care does lag a bit untill my rpm goes up a bit and everything else is good so I'm thinking my advance might be coming in too late. What does it sound like when there is too much advance? is it a light pinging sound or more like a loud hammering?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts