Street to strip. Looking to build a mid-9 sec street car on 10.5 inch tires.

malibu81

Daily Driver
Jan 15, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
You already have the 5.3 liter but a turbo on top of it. Look for the sloppy mechanics youtube page, he's done some inexpensive fast LS stuff. Also look for this months fastest street car magazine there is an article of a turbo LS a guy did for $4500 and made 1500 hp.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Yea I was thinking twin turbo LS with a Powerglide, the trouble with cheap though is it won't live long, I'd do an Iron truck block with forged crank, rods and pistons, by the time you get that far a set of really good heads would be in order, of course that's more and more money, don't forget a certified roll cage, good rear end and suspension and on and on we go, I saw a decal on and old friends tool box many years ago that said: Speed Costs Money Son....... How Fast You Wanna Go?
Have Fun!!!! KillerDave

Vilanus

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2019
Canada
Well a nitrous deal would easily be the way to go in my opinion if you want to drive it like you mention. Build an 11 second motor and spray it into the 9's.
My car has a home built Ford 9". I have a video on youtube on how i built it.

Hi prairierodder, I also built my own 9". I am curious about the pinion angle you got with those upper control arm mounts. I had to cut mine and reweld before i got a satisfying 2.5deg. mine sit lower and maybe farther foward. I am using stock control arms.
And what brakes are you running? I ended up using the ford 11" backing plates, shoes and hardware with 77 a body 11"drums. The hub to bearing distance had to be lenghtened some for the drums to fit

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
The 9" housing is taller so the upper ears end up being higher. I use adjustable upper arms to set my pinion angle. For brakes i used the Strange H1143 weld-on housing ends to work with chevy brakes. I think my brakes came from a mid 70's car or possibly an S10. Can't remember for sure. They aren't real big and i think i'm still using the G-body drums. the stock G-body backing plates are useless with that goofy flange on them.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!