TH350 trans still leaking after replacing rear seal???

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
I noticed a small leak from the rear seal of the trans where the driveshaft slides in, it was completely dry for months at my old house then moved to a house with a steeper driveway and it started leaking when parked up hill. So I replaced the $3 seal tapped it in and put the driveshaft back in then took her for a ride and parked her in the garage on level ground. Checked under the car the next morning and now she's leaking on level ground and its worse then ever???. The old seal was definitely bad old and cracked could it just be the wrong replacement seal or is there somthing internally in the trans that could be causing this leak?...The car was originally a 200r4 but I replaced the trans with a th350 not sure what year or make the trans came out of so pepboys just gave me a th350 seal out of a th350 Lemans if I remember correctly. Part# 15041 by SKF. Im hoping its nothing internally what do you think?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
The Bushing in the Tailhousing could be worn allowing the DS Slip Yoke to wobble.
Grab the DS & see if it has up/down/side movement.
Slip Yoke didn't have a groove worn where the Seal rides did it?
Did you lubricate the Seal before installing?
Are you sure it's the Rear Seal leaking? Pan, Speedo etc.. leak can run back.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Is the driveshaft yoke worn out? Look for a wear ring where the seal rides...

Tommy

timo22

Amateur Racer
Sep 13, 2011
St. Louis, Mo
These guys are right on.Rarely does replacing a seal on a transmission solve the leak. If you are sure it is the rear seal, check yoke for wear and if it is ok, replace BUSHING AND SEAL. It is not a difficult repair. Tim

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
thanks for the replies Im gonna pull the driveshaft back out this week and inspect the slip yoke, I do remember the trans DS slip yoke having a little play but nothing crazy didnt think anything of it maybe thats the issue. Whats involved in replacing that bushing?...any special tools needed?...also how long of a job would you say it is?...and is there anything else worth replacing while everything is apart?...What is worse case senario with this leak is there anything else inside the trans that could cause this leak just so Im prepared for the worse lol...I'l let you guys know how I make out once I pull it apart, cant wait to start driving her again!

allisontech

Daily Driver
Apr 8, 2012
I know this is an old thread but just in case anyone else runs into a leak on a driveway with a steep angle, many times the yoke itself is the cause, "Some yokes have a pin hole in the center that can leak after the car sits awhile on a steep angle" Fits all makes a plug that can seal this leak. I have also seen some people weld it up with the yoke disassembled.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts