Tubeular or boxed control arms???

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
80malibucoup said:
So roto are the way to go. There good for street/stip?? With my Grand national rear end do i have to shorten my drive shaft?I'm running a 350 trans with a 6" tail.
yes they are a very good choice of an all around use bushing.it's like anything else personal preference. for me is how long will this last me,has other people had good luck with this product?will it provide good performance and nice ride? is it grease-able? or will it wear out quickly only provide a harsh ride and i'll be unhappy when i'm shopping around for replacements?i wish i had started my build AFTER i came across this site!much to learned from these pages.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
Now I have another question on sway bars. I have the stock one right now ,will It work with the trailing arms or should just not run one?

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
As long as you get arms setup for a sway bar it should bolt right on with no clearance issues with the 8.5

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
80malibucoup said:
Now I have another question on sway bars. I have the stock one right now ,will It work with the trailing arms or should just not run one?

Like abigda mentioned, if the lower control arms have sway bar holes your stock sway bar will work with no issues.

We offer boxed, tubular, adjustable and non-adjustable control arms, all with sway bar holes. So please check out our site and keep us in mind for your purchase.

Thanks!
Ryan
http://www.umiperformance.com

1980bbmalibu

Daily Driver
Jul 12, 2011
I've heard that the spherical joints are not good for the street, that they ride rough, wear out quick, and break. Is this accurate information? Is anyone running them on the street with success? I know they are better for the track, but we intend to drive it on the street occasionally. Thanks for any input.

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
1980bbmalibu said:
I've heard that the spherical joints are not good for the street, that they ride rough, wear out quick, and break. Is this accurate information? Is anyone running them on the street with success? I know they are better for the track, but we intend to drive it on the street occasionally. Thanks for any input.

Spherical rod ends will stiffen the ride, can add additional noise to the vehicle and do wear overtime. If the correct size and grade rod end is chosen it will not break. A broken rod end is usually a good sign of a company using a low grade economy end. Rod ends are designed for more extreme uses and offer movement while maintaining strength.

If you are looking for a spherical end I would recommend checking out our Roto-Joint. More information on our Roto-Joint can be found here- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=roto_joint

Also we have a bushing application guide to help explain when to use a certain style bushing, this can be seen here- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=app_guide

If there is any questions I can help with please ask. Thank you!
Ryan

1980bbmalibu

Daily Driver
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Ryan, I will be purchasing soon, researching now to find what is best for our application. I'm not concerned with a stiff/noisy ride at all.. Have been told by a couple of people that the ends wear out quick if drove on the street very much. That would be my only concern. If the uppers are adjusted to change pinion angle, what is the benefit of adjustable lowers? I know I want the relocation brackets, just don't know how necessary the adjustable lowers are.

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
1980bbmalibu said:
Thanks Ryan, I will be purchasing soon, researching now to find what is best for our application. I'm not concerned with a stiff/noisy ride at all.. Have been told by a couple of people that the ends wear out quick if drove on the street very much. That would be my only concern. If the uppers are adjusted to change pinion angle, what is the benefit of adjustable lowers? I know I want the relocation brackets, just don't know how necessary the adjustable lowers are.

The rod ends can wear, the time frame will depend on the miles and how much they are used. What wears on the rod end is the lining. The rod ends we use feature a Teflon lining that the spherical ball rides in. This lining is designed to prevent noise and keep the spherical ball lube. Like any wear product this lining will wear over time, the rod end will still preform correctly but may tend to make noise since the lining will thin. Many companies use economy style rod ends with no lining, they are usually noisy from day one and allow the companies to reduce product cost.

Adjustable uppers are used for pinion angle, correct. Adjustable lowers are usually only used for centering the rear end in the wheel wells, aftermarket rear ends that don't sit centered or when more room is needed for larger tires. Other than this the adjustment part of a lower control arm is not needed. The rod ends are beneficial to some applications because allow articulation in the suspension.

If you decide on the relocation brackets I would recommend to look at our lift bars. Our lift bars are basically just a boxed lower control arm with relocation brackets and off set sway bars. The off set sway bar holes are designed to keep the factory sway bar level with the rear end while running the relocation brackets. Here is a link to this item- http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_72&products_id=83

I hope this helps!
Ryan

1980bbmalibu

Daily Driver
Jul 12, 2011
Are the lift bars available with spherical ends, or am I better off getting adjustable arms with the relocation brackets?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts