V6

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Lets start talking about these bad boys!!! LOL!! :shock:

Mine is almost ready, just got a pair of hooker headers, and my next step is to finish the fuel system. Still need to find a pump, and plumb it.

Pic's to come.

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
Well, still can't decide what I want to do with my 229. Found out it can't really go faster than 90 mph... :eek: But on the upside, am getting 22+ mpg in mixed driving.

Not sure if I want to try a cam swap, but do want to rebuild it back to GM specs after a through check of cleanrances and a good balancing (and clean up the heads). The wrist pin ticking and other "diesel like" noises are getting tiresome. Guess I might as well try the larger cam, see how it does. Worse case, have to swap it back for a stock profile. Best case, it makes more power and economy.

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
mhamilton,

You're getting 22mpg in mixed driving? :shock: I'm impressed. Darwin's still getting about 15-17 in those conditions. Going for a larger cam should help performance and might help mpg. The only thing is be careful, and don't go much larger than a Comp 240H grind.

The mileage from my last road trip hovered around the 20mpg range, so I've broken down and ordered a Performance Distributors' DUI. My theory is that the DUI is supposed to have an advance curve set to the requirements of my engine and thus undo any ill effects of the advance kit on my old HEI & then some. I'm hoping that this and a carb rejet will bring my mpg up to what I expect with the milder cam.

A

Anonymous

I just start driving my Bu this week on a regular basis to work about 44 miles round trip each day. The little 229 is doing great! Seems like i'm getting pretty good mileage, but I haven't it checked yet.

Trickbu

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
Darwinskeeper said:
You're getting 22mpg in mixed driving?

The mileage from my last road trip hovered around the 20mpg range, so I've broken down and ordered a Performance Distributors' DUI. My theory is that the DUI is supposed to have an advance curve set to the requirements of my engine and thus undo any ill effects of the advance kit on my old HEI & then some. I'm hoping that this and a carb rejet will bring my mpg up to what I expect with the milder cam

The last few fillups have come out to 22 mpg, but I do normally see 21 mpg. But, I also drive for economy, so no heavy acceleration from stoplights. Might be taking a long trip next month, will have to see if it does better this time with the newly repaired HEI.

Your new dist sounds like it will help. I was very disapointed with the Chinese recurve kit from Summit (or Jegs). Cheaply made parts, springs too light, and the curve was not what the engine needed.

I'm not sure what I will end up doing with the 229. First it needs work to bring it back to GM stock specs, then will move on from there. Cleaning up the ports will help to begin with, that should only help power and econ. Still thinking about the cam. Of course I've thought about changing to a 4 speed and ~3.5:1 axle, but I hate to chop up my clean original car. I also can't see the 229 responding to a super-low 1st and 2nd gear ratio, it seems wasteful using 1st gear with the current 3 speed (no power past 2500 rpm).

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Trickbu said:
I just start driving my Bu this week on a regular basis to work about 44 miles round trip each day. The little 229 is doing great! Seems like i'm getting pretty good mileage, but I haven't it checked yet.

Trickbu

Hows that performer manifold treatin you?? cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, I haven't installed it yet...still need a carb.

Trickbu

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
Mhamilton,

I'd be interested in hearing what your definition of "cleaning up the ports" is like. I didn't have my 262 ported because I was afraid larger ports would hurt velocity/low rpm airflow. I just had a 3 angle valve job and drove on.

Ever since I got Darwin back, I've been a lot more serious about efficient driving. Being careful to stay out of the secondaries, shifting up at about 3300rpm and lifting off when I anticipate the need to stop/slow down. I can't say that its helped yet, but I'm thinking it will once I get my more serious problems solved.

By the way, when you're mentioning a "4 speed" do you mean an overdrive automatic like a 700R4?

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
mhamilton

I'm still intrigued by the mileage you're getting with your car. I remember reading that the EPA mileage for a '79 Malibu wagon with a 200 V6 and a 3 speed manual was supposed to be 22mpg City and 28mpg highway. That was all I needed to learn to be convinced that GM had found a way to game the EPA figures. My current goal is to get 22mpg consistantly during my mixed driving and at least 28mpg highway, so I'm shocked :shock: to learn that your relatively stock 229 is already making that. I'm afraid I had written the 200s and 229s off as being too small for making decent gas mileage. I have a lot to learn and few questions.

What body style do you have? Coupe, sedan, wagon, Monte Carlo or Elcamino?

What transmission/rear gear do you have?

How is the car different from stock? What have you fixed on it?

I know that you have said that your driving style has a lot to do with your results. I still think its impressive.

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
I'd be interested in hearing what your definition of "cleaning up the ports" is like. I didn't have my 262 ported because I was afraid larger ports would hurt velocity/low rpm airflow. I just had a 3 angle valve job and drove on.

Here's a picture of what I intend to fix. GM explains this as a "manufacturing compromise"... i.e. cheap casting. The intake is OE cast aluminum, ports are matched nicely already. Not sure if I want a valve job, want to find out if it decreases valve life.

intakevalve.jpg

shifting up at about 3300rpm ... when you're mentioning a "4 speed" do you mean an overdrive automatic like a 700R4?

Well, I don't shift that late... no power that high up. Yours may do fine with that, but the 229 isn't a rever. Usually never see over 2500 rpm. This is on a stock '80 4 door sedan, original th200c and 2.41 axle. Rebuilt engine, carb, hei, all stock.

Yes, was thinking of a 2004r swap. But my car is all original, completly rust free. Hate to chop it up. Could just get a later model Monte with the 4 speed in it already.
I'm still intrigued by the mileage you're getting with your car. I remember reading that the EPA mileage for a '79 Malibu wagon with a 200 V6 and a 3 speed manual was supposed to be 22mpg City and 28mpg highway. That was all I needed to learn to be convinced that GM had found a way to game the EPA figures.

EPA estimates for my 229 sedan were 19/26 mpg. The EPA estimates were not done the same way as today, or even the mid '80s. Back then, remember the highway limit was 55 mph. That is where they got the highway estimate. If I do just city driving, and don't race the engine, can see 18/19. My usual commute is 70% at 70-75 mph, the other various city/country driving (start and stop), and I see 21/22 mpg. I've never seen 26 mpg, best ever was 23 mpg on a long trip going 75 mph. Maybe with some mild upgrades I could see better efficiency, but can't move the torque peak too high if you want good econ.

I've never experienced the 267/200 small blocks. With their long stroke, should have been good for low rpm torque and economy.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!