Valve spring locks

Ryan_310

Amateur Racer
Nov 28, 2010
Billings, MT
I am changing the valve springs on my heads and ran into a problem. The locks come out easily when I compressed the springs now when I am trying to put the new ones one and I compress the spring and try to put the locks in the spring is at an angle so I can only get one lock in and there is no gap on the other side for the second lock. This is my first time doing this so does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
Assuming that you're using a 'C' type spring compressor, make sure that the adjustable end that sits on the valve face doesn't flop over at an angle. Next, adjust the clamp to compress the spring a bit more, then insert the keepers, rotating the first one to the side that the spring is slanted toward. It'll be a tight fit, but if you release the compressor and then compress the spring a 2nd time, you can then put in the last keeper.

I just got done with a job like this on my own heads.

Ryan_310

Amateur Racer
Nov 28, 2010
Billings, MT
I have 2 types of compressors. One is the "C" and the other is round. I dont think I can adjust the one thats round to a different angle but the "C" style is in rough shape and dont want to use it if I dont have to.

Ryan_310

Amateur Racer
Nov 28, 2010
Billings, MT
Found out I suck at putting on locks. Had a buddy help me and took us only 10 minutes to do one head. Will attempt to do the other on my own tonight and we will see how it goes.

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
Ryan_310 said:
Found out I suck at putting on locks. Had a buddy help me and took us only 10 minutes to do one head. Will attempt to do the other on my own tonight and we will see how it goes.

Experience is the best teacher...

Ryan_310

Amateur Racer
Nov 28, 2010
Billings, MT
No problem I will take pics of me installing them tomorrow. I have already taken them off but thats the easy part. The locks usually shoot out once you compress the springs. Make sure you have a good tool when doing it. Some are worse then others.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts