VSS problems - What i've learned

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Figured id type this up quick in case someone goes down a similar path in the future. It will save you some effort!

My problem: I want the ECM to get a valid VSS signal to improve driveability, but my trans only has a mechanical speedo output.

Attempt #1:

Order Dakota Digital SEN-01-4160 bolt it to the trans and then bolt my speedo cable to it. Bam, done! Not quite. Clearance issues trying to attach the speedo cable once this was in place. I didnt feel like bashing my floor for this.

Attempt #2:

Order SUM-G2887-1 AND a new 160 MPH electronic speedo guage. Drive both the ECM and gauge from this sender. Bam, done! Not quite. The signal is not compatible with what the ECM needs to see. This sender puts out a DC signal, the ECM needs to see a sine wave.

Attempt #3:

Drive the new gauge with the new summit sender and use the gauge output to drive the ECM. Nope, same issue as above. Didnt figure this would work, but it was worth a shot.

Final attempt:
Drive the ECM with the Dakota Digital sender and then use the 4K VSS out (Pin 50 on the red connector) to drive the gauge. Bam, done! Yes, really...this seems to work. I just need to recalibrate the speedo, but thats pretty easy.

One thing I noticed about the dakota digital sender...it will drive the Autometer guage directly, but not very well honestly. I wouldnt recommend using this to drive the speedo directly. The ECM on the other hand will read down to 1 MPH very nicely with the dakota sender, so they work well together.

4822442368_a00576c2ee_z.jpg

Thought this one was a cool coincidence. LS7 = 427 ci. 42700 miles. heh.

4822442568_3b5ee320af_z.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Craig, did you consider trying a GM VSS that drives off the plastic gear on the mainshaft of the transmission? They were used in T5s, I suppose with the digital dash in a Firebird.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts