What is the best route to run the speedometer cable?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Is it okay to run the cable on the driver's side, until it lines up with the cable mounting location on the transmission, or is there a better way?

Vilanus

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2019
Canada
The cable does run on the driver's side. If you have a stock transmission cross member you will find a screw hole to secure the cable

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. I had the cross member remade for my 2004r transmission. Part of my issue with the speedometer cable could be with the cruise control hook-up with the transmission. My cable in my opinion is too long. I'll keep you updated on what I figure out.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I wanted to turn the cable and get a reading on the speedometer. I have just put in a Rostra cruise control and want to check the cable at all connections. I took the 78 El Camino in and out gas into it. The speedometer didn't work at all.

Vilanus

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2019
Canada
Things to check.
-Do you have the proper drive/driven gear combination?
-is the cable fully engaged in the transmission?
-does the cable rotate freely in the sheathing?
-Is the cable engaged in the gauge cluster?
-do you know that the cluster works?

I am not familiar with aftermarket cruise control units. I guess they have instructions or a tech line to assist you for proper hookup.

If the speedo gear was not meshed in all the way it could have been destroyed

Last edited:

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. The speedometer worked before I put in the cruise control. I need to check the fitting connection, to see if I have them together correctly. I'll try turning it from the transmission and the other connection fitting.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I've used a cordless drill to test speedos and cables. As far as routing, there's not many variations running a speedo cable. They're usually too long and you have to loop them anyway.