what rear do I have?

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
How funny to find it out there...LOL

ThaT WOULD CERTAINLY EXPLAIN THE SHORTER control arms as we build the GN rears using this 8.5 center section also and have Double adjustable control arms to deal with the upper control arm cast mounts.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
If that is the car, I found that rearend at a wrecking yard in a pile of cars that had been driven over by monster trucks at an indoor monster truck show. It had 2.41 posi and i couldn't identify the car very well but i thought it was a 77 cutlass. The rearend was wider than the stock 7.5 so we chopped the lower brackets off of the 7.5 and welded them onto that diff in the right spots, then shortened the uppers so the mounting points would be farther apart. I also cut out the back seat footwells and raised them up to be able to fit mufflers under them. I'm really interested to see if this is that car.
Here is another picture of the malibu, it belonged to my best friend and we street raced all the time. Thats me in my truck.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,319

junk racing

Amateur Racer
this car used to be brown, the previous owner removed the ragtop, the uppers have been cut and rewelded, and i just found that the rear is wider than factory after putting my new wheels on, heres the way it looks at the moment...15x10's and no frame notch

so can i use aftermarket upper and lower control arms?

malibuside.jpg

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
If thats the car it had a iron headed 461 BBC with a turbo 350 and a nice custom made aluminum dash. It got sold to a different local friend of mine and he put in the bar and a big nitrous kit and won 2nd place at the SIR fastest street car shootout in like 2001 or 2002. He then sold the car as a roller and i know it went south but i never knew how far. I also know that one buddy never finished paying the other for it before he sold it. Has the hood been changed? I had chopped a hole in the brown hood. What color is the underside of the hood?
brian

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
it sounds likely but as you said in the PM, if it still has a factory dash then its probably not it. I really was starting to get my hopes up that i had found a car that had meant alot to me at one time. The rearend swap was exactly the way i had done it, and lifting up the backseat footwells. Does it have a home modified transmission crossmember that hangs down kinda low on the drivers side where the exhaust pipe passes over?
brian

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts