What springs?

82wagon

Weekend Racer
Mar 31, 2010
I'm trying to find some springs that will lower my car a few inches it sits high in the rear with stock springs. The car is on a 275/60 15. Wondering if I could use springs out of a 2 door car mine is a wagon but not sure on weight differences.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
No, the sedan springs are way too soft. You need to look at the spring specs in the back of the Moog catalog (may find online, too), and use the equation for springs:
F = kx

F = the force on the spring = the weight of the car on the spring
k = the spring constant
x = the amount the spring has compressed

You can compute the F value from the catalog. The free standing height and installed height are in the catalog, so the difference is "x". The spring constant "k" is in the catalog. Calculate for F.

Use that value of F to compute "x" and determine the actual installed height for other springs.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I have a set of Hotchkis springs on my 2-door, front is 600lb/in and rear is 150 or 160lb/in., sits like the current picture in my signature. It rides good for a street car, never really tried to push it since doing the frame-off, still sorting out noises & whatnot. The front springs would likely be about the same for you if you're just driving it on the street (strip cars use taller + lower rate springs to help with launch). The rears I can't comment on, never really looked into anything for a wagon. Misfit may have a little insight, his looks like it sits a little lower from the pics, street car.

Attachments

• wagon.jpg
    wagon.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,255

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
The Sticks... Tewksbury MA
Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts