wheel bearing grease?

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i have strange c-clip elims and i'm FINALLY puting them all back together. they appear to be a sort of sealed unit...meaning they are not lubricated by the rearend fluid, but by bearing grease. is this true? if so, is there any special proceedure for greasing them up? stupid question probably, but better safe than sorry i guess.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i guess i explained that a little wrong. the strange elims are a 2 piece design. it appears as though it was made that way to be able to access the bearing. there's a seal that looks like it's there to keep rear end fluid from leaving the housing and going into the elim. so, before i put them back on the rear end, i want to know if i'm supposed to grease the axle bearings with bearing grease or not. it's ball bearing, not needle bearing...if that matters.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I may be wrong, but it would seem to me that the seal goes on the outside to keep the fluid in the axle & lube the bearing.

Tommy

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
the seal seals against the axle shaft before the bearing and appears to be there to keep fluid from getting out of the tube and into the elim block. i might be wrong...guess i'll make a call to strange. thanks for the replies.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Mine are from moser and they appear to be sealed. My eliminators are a one piece design... Let us know what you find out from strange!!

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
first, i'd like to say that strange's tech dept was awesome to deal with. i bought this stuff used, so i felt like i was sort of bothering them by calling. but, she (i think tracey was her name) didn't seem to mind answering a few questions for me. i was told that i could pack the bearings a bit...it wouldn't hurt anything. i also asked about using silicone to seal the 2 pieces of aluminum together. i was told it was recommended to do that and to also use a bit on the gaskets that go in front and behind the backing plates. i did it all last night and am FINALLY ready to put this #####$@# thing in the car! i'd take pics....but i'm sure you all know what a rearend looks like, right?

thanks again for the replies.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts