Where did you guys find your LS motors?

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, that is a pretty sweet site. Just been searching and found a couple of 6.0s for around $1000-$1200 and some 5.3s around $600-$800.

Quick question for you LSx experts. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that up to 2002 these motors had a cable driven throttle, then from 2003-present went with the drive by wire. True?

If so, which is the preferred choice? Prices between an 01-02 and 03-04 are within $200.

I recall seeing a couple of guys on LS1tech state they could not run their BS3 with DBW, had to convert to cable. I will probably just go with the stock computer and attempt to do my own harness to get her up and running to have some fun. Just want to make sure I make the right decision now instead of regretting it later on.

Thanks guys again for all the help.

85MonteCoupe

Daily Driver
Dec 30, 2008
Columbus, Indiana
Yes you are correct, they stayed cable driven up until 2002. It just depends really on what you are planning to do with the car and what you want to spend. If you can get the DBW pedal assembly along with the engine and don't mind a little extra work welding in the pedal then go for it. I didn't really want to mess with it so I converted my engine over to Drive by Cable and spent an extra 250 bucks prolly...
With the capability of the stock ECM I can't really see any reason to go with a Big Stuff controller. Just get a shop to reprogram the stock ECM and take out VATs, rear 02's, etc. and you're ready to run. Then later on down the road you can get one of the aftermarket tuning programs to mess with it.

Later,
Jason

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Thanks. Yeah, would rather not have to change the pedal around now. Just so I am an ounce smarter on this topic, what exactly needs to be changed to convert from DBW to DBC? Just the throttle body and cable itself? Or does the ECM and harness have to be modified as well?

Only reason I was looking at the BS3 was because I will probably be making changes to the motor constantly and do not want to send out the ecm to be reworked. It appears EFI Live and HP Tuners will more than handle what I want to do with the car this year, just need to look into them a little more and whether or not the money I would spend on those, plus a wideband would just be better invested in the BS3.

Thanks for the help

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
388bu said:
Keep in mind that the vans did not switch to DBW in '03. Mines an '04 and has a cable. Not sure when they switched if ever. Maybe when they started with the LY6? Who knows...

Good to know, thanks.

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
dads shop. :twisted:

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/1122787864.html

damned good deal and worth the drive imho...

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
blubaldmontess said:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/1122787864.html

#### good deal and worth the drive imho...

Thanks. That is a great deal, but that is a haul from Jersey. Have a couple of calls into some of the guys listed on car-parts.com

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts