Wiring problem on my Jeep! HELP!

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
Well I got a 97 Grand Cherokee off my wife's cousin. Said the dome lights and courtesy lights didn't work. Well I got to investigating today and checked the fuse, which he said he had already did. He must have done the same thing I did. There is a row of fuses that are hidden and I checked the wrong one. I later went back over it and found the blown fuse I had missed. Now onto the fun part. I think I got it all working good when going down the road they start flickering and then at some times won't even go off. With the vehicle off I can shake the Jeep and they will come on by themselves without opening a door. I found the relay in the owners manual located on the fuse panel and it actuall feels a lil warm. Not hot, but warm. When a relay goes bad is this what it does? Or do I have a bad connection on the backside of the relay? If so I guess I got to pull it out to get to the back of the relay? Thx. NEED HELP ASAP!!!

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
Anyone got any help for me. Gonna start working on it here again today in a little bit. Any ideas is appreciated. I know it's not a bu but I know there are alot of knowledgable guys on here. Thx.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Relays will generate heat if they are turned on for awhile. What you NEED is a wiring diagram. You most likely have a bad door switch or ground causing you issues, but without a wiring diagram you WILL pull your hair out trying to find it. See if when the door is opened, you can physically feel the relay click to turn on, if so, then the relay if most likely fine. They usually dont fail in the closed position and if it's turning on and off, then the relay is just doing what it's told to do. Dont be aprts replacer, diagnose the problem correctly the first time and you will have learned something and be much happier that it doesnt come back to haunt you :lol:

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
O.K. it's not the relay. I am 99.9% sure it is a door switch. Had it all working fine and now it is doing it again. I have wiring diagrams and multimeter. How can I check the doorswitches or see if it is a ground etc.? Thx.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I dont remember if the switches are on the door jamb or inside the door on the door latch, Most likely it's the drivers door switch, it's the door that gets used the most, but once again, better to verify than just start replacing parts. You have to get to the wiring for the switch and work the switch while the ohm meter is hooked up to see if its working properly.

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
I know where the switch is. It is held in place with a screw. O.K. what am I looking for as far as readings?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts