ZQ8 wheel guys, come on in. Need help

64malibu79

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Brandywine, MD
I justed finished mounting my new ZQ8 rims up and set the car on the ground after being on jackstands for a while. Just to find that the front wheels are setting pretty far out in the wheel well. :( They are so far out that any travel and the wheel will rub the fender. I had a set or 80's Z28 rims on before with no problems. I have 1LE brakes with Hotchkis UCA's

Could this be an alignment issue or is the BS on the ZQ8's less then the Z28's? I'm running 245/50/60 IIRC on the fronts. Anyone running ZQ8's with 1LE brakes?

DSC00168Medium.jpg

DSC00170Medium.jpg

DSC00171Medium.jpg

DSC00173Medium.jpg

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I'm not sure if this will help or not. I have IROC wheels on my car. I'm running 4 front wheels on my car with stock brakes/upper a-arms. I know when you switch to 1le front brakes it pushes the front track width out 1/2" or so, that may be part of your problem. I also know if you do that conversion and want the IROC wheels, you need to run IROC wheels marked REAR on the front of the car because the offset is different. Anyone else chime in here with some ZQ8 experience? HTH

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
StreetBu is right, the 1LE are said to push the tracking out. The zQ8's have a b.s. of 4 1/8" so its not a lot to begin with. I might suggest having a machine shop mill down the mounting surface of the front wheels 1/4"?? Not sure its thats even safe though.

You could always go down a tire size or 2 as well.

64malibu79

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Brandywine, MD
Tony I don't think going down a tire size is going to do much. It would have to be significant to get the clearance needed. Any chance you think it might be an alignment issue?
I think you're right about the BS though. I'm going to take them off and measure and see what they are.

This has me contemplating whether to put some Xtreme brakes on and take the 1LE's off

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
64malibu79 said:
Tony I don't think going down a tire size is going to do much. It would have to be significant to get the clearance needed. Any chance you think it might be an alignment issue?
I think you're right about the BS though. I'm going to take them off and measure and see what they are.

This has me contemplating whether to put some Xtreme brakes on and take the 1LE's off

I don't think its an alignment issue.. Consider either the s10 brakes or the guy who did my Ls1 brakes, they are supposed to fit inside a 16" wheel and are on a stock spindle so it wont push the wheels out.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
Doober said:
It wouldn't be alignment, that doesn't affect where the wheels sit in the wheel well left/right, only how they're pointed in relation to each other (it does affect how they are front/back a little though when caster is set).

You are totally wrong with that statement. In an Alignment you can adjust Camber which is the wheels angle left to right which would effect where the top of the tire sits in the wheel well.

"how they are pointed in relation to each other" would be the toe.
Caster is the tilt of the steering knuckle either front or back and camber (which is adjustable on our cars) is the tire leaning in or out.

camber_caster_toe.jpg

I know 2 people personally that have those wheels on their Monte's one SS one LS, both are lowered and niether one even comes close to rubbing, ever.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
His point though is that an alignment will not get rid of this tire rub issue. It will actually change the location of the tire in the wheel well, but if you have a tire rub issue and your alignment is out some, setting it correctly will not be enough to stop your tire rub. There are underlying problems that need to be addressed first.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Ok, I'll rephrase...

With where the tires are sitting right now, there is no alignment in the world that will wear correctly. I know about toe, caster, and camber, and last I checked they were all part of an alignment :lol: If he had camber set to where the tires would go up into the wheel wells, he'd be replacing those tires in no time ;)

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
Doober said:
Ok, I'll rephrase...

With where the tires are sitting right now, there is no alignment in the world that will wear correctly. I know about toe, caster, and camber, and last I checked they were all part of an alignment :lol: If he had camber set to where the tires would go up into the wheel wells, he'd be replacing those tires in no time ;)

unless someone change the upper control arms and never put the shims back in, in which case the camber is waaaay out on the top which if your tires were close enough, could be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts