ZQ8 wheel guys, come on in. Need help

64malibu79

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Brandywine, MD
Betcha618 said:
unless someone change the upper control arms and never put the shims back in, in which case the camber is waaaay out on the top which if your tires were close enough, could be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing.

This is what prompted me to ask about the alignment, when I bought the Hotchkis UCA's years ago it came with a spec sheet for the alignment and since I went from 15's to 16's I wasn't sure if the issue might just be the alignment or if it's the backspacing. I was hoping someone else here was running 1LE's with zq8's but I guess not.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
64malibu79 said:
Betcha618 said:
unless someone change the upper control arms and never put the shims back in, in which case the camber is waaaay out on the top which if your tires were close enough, could be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing.

This is what prompted me to ask about the alignment, when I bought the Hotchkis UCA's years ago it came with a spec sheet for the alignment and since I went from 15's to 16's I wasn't sure if the issue might just be the alignment or if it's the backspacing. I was hoping someone else here was running 1LE's with zq8's but I guess not.

If you switched UCA's and never had an alignment done, i'd do that anyway.

Like i said, i've seen those wheels on my two friends cars lowered with absolutely no issues.

what size tire are you running??

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Plain and simple, that's too much tire for the 1LE/ZQ8 combo. The 1LE conversion adds roughly 3/8"- 1/2" of track, the ZQ8 have less back spacing than the Z28 wheels & the 245 is a BIG tire, even in a 50 ratio. I have 235 60/15's on 87 Monte SS alloys with the Global West 1LE upper arm & B-body spindle conversion. Doug @ GW says that's about as wide as you can go before you run into tire clearance issues.

Tommy

64malibu79

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Brandywine, MD
Thanks for the info Tommy. So how does your tire size convert up to a 16" rim? I was getting ready to buy new rims and use this tires on my '80, but if I can just get new fronts I might just do that.

Are you thinking like a 225/50/16?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
64malibu79 said:
Thanks for the info Tommy. So how does your tire size convert up to a 16" rim? I was getting ready to buy new rims and use this tires on my '80, but if I can just get new fronts I might just do that.

Are you thinking like a 225/50/16?

If you go to an aftermarket rim with more back spacing, you might be OK. I really don't know. You may also run into clearance issues between the wheel & the A-arms if you have too much back spacing. Maybe you can borrow one of those wheel/tire mock-up tools to get an exact tire/wheel combo.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts