Pathway for Positive Battery Cable

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
With my new headers, Hedman recommends routing a longer battery cable through the motor mount. I have my battery in the engine bay and have no interest in moving it to the trunk.

Has anyone else run the battery cable through the motor mount or some other pathway to the starter? It is clear that the original cable and pathway will not work due to the location of the header tubes.

What are your recommendations?

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I ran mine right next to the motor mount just under the alt to the starter for mine.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
did the cable run above the mount or below the mount near the pan rail?

Did you strap the cable to anything to prevent accidental contact with the header or to prevent chafing?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey Marc, My battery cable runs from the starter along the oil pan up between the motor mounts with the transmission lines, Out under the fuel pump to the battery. Im not sure where its straped down uder the motor, But its straped down to the frame befor it gets to the battery. Doug

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Thanks Doug. This weekend I will have to see whether the original cable will reach or not.

Where do you guys get quality side terminal cables? The last one I got was not very good quality and required a different bolt. I want something that fits like OEM.

MALObu

Amateur Racer
Aug 27, 2010
los angeles,ca
for my current customer's 86 el camino build i used a longer cable,i believe 56" or so that i scored at a yard sale for 5.00 and ran it through the left hand top of motor mount,and moved the factory holding tab further to the frount.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Thanks Malobu, I will have to try that route. I would suggest some sort of additional casing around the cable where it goes through the mount to prevent chafing.

Is there a public resource that includes cable length by application?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts