frame interchange

wgnguy

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2003
missouri
I have a 81 malibu 4 four door that has a bent frame. It only has 38k on it and I know where another four door frame is that is under a cutlass. What interchanges with what? I tried to look into the FAQS page but I found nothing. This should be a good post for the faqs section in mho. Any help would be appreciated!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i've seen this ? posed and answered before i don't know the answer but it's here i'm sorry this doesn't help but i know i've seen it before on here

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i did notice that my el camino frames 4 rear body mount holes are perch mounted on the inside of the frame and i'm not sure what i saw but another g body frame had the rear frame rails with body mount holes in them not a separate mount like mine.

Piston

Frequent Racer
Jan 5, 2011
Spring Hill, KS
www.heartlandrc.com
I swear I saw this posted somewhere else but can't find it now. All G body frames are not the same. Malibu frames are shorter in frame horns than Monte's, Elcamino and wagon frames were longer. If i find that link I'll add it back here.

*EDIT*

found it http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=63841

I did some research on this too, I have a notched monte frame I wanted to use on a malibu I just picked up.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Some of that info isn't 100% correct. Not all A/G body frames interchange. Montes, Grand Prixs & *I think* Regals are called a "G Specials" & have the longer front frame horns for the longer nose. Wagons have the same wheelbase as the sedan & coupes. They use the same frame, but have different/more body mounts. El Caminos have a 9" longer wheelbase & IIRC have their own frame.

Tommy

malibu101

Frequent Racer
May 22, 2003
Walnutport PA
Let me put a fact here. To the point... I put a frame from a 78 Buick Regal Turbo under my 79 Malibu. Almost perfect fit.
The small exeption was that the front of the frame was about 2" longer and made the bumper stick out weird. I drilled and compressed the bumper shocks (which was easier than sectioning the frame) and everything is fine.
Look at the thickness of a Regal header panel as compared to a Malibu and you'll see the difference in thickness.
Other than that everything else was fine.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
malibu101 said:
Let me put a fact here. To the point... I put a frame from a 78 Buick Regal Turbo under my 79 Malibu. Almost perfect fit.
The small exeption was that the front of the frame was about 2" longer and made the bumper stick out weird.

That, my friend, is a "G Special".

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts