The volt meter dropped to the orange line?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated. If less than 13, replace it?
yes,that's the idea any how,if it reads low pull it out and have it checked @ the part store before buying another one.they have a machine that replicates running the alternator in a car.the last thing i want is you buying a pricy part on my advise.

Reactions: 78elk

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
yes,that's the idea any how,if it reads low pull it out and have it checked @ the part store before buying another one.they have a machine that replicates running the alternator in a car.the last thing i want is you buying a pricy part on my advise.
Thanks, much appreciated.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I went and bought a new alternator from the NAPA store that the people I work for owns. I got it for $60.00. it puts out over 60 amps. I got it yesterday and took it back because I couldn't get it installed. They reclocked it , then I brought it back and installed it. I started up the 78 Elk and the voltage meter stayed at 13 volts without dropping.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
nice,sounds like good service at napa,did you test the one that was in the car to see what it was doing before hand?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Sorry, I didn't give it a try. I was having some issues in my mind, how to do it safely. This new one was priced at $80.00 but they sold it to me for $20.00 under the price.

Reactions: melloelky

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
The volt meter did the same thing today with the new alternator. I called my friends at the NAPA Store. He told me to bring it back and they would test it and the old one to. He told me to check the exciter wires, he thinks this is the problem area.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Sorry, I didn't give it a try. I was having some issues in my mind, how to do it safely. This new one was priced at $80.00 but they sold it to me for $20.00 under the price.

Reactions: 78elk

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I put my hand held meter on the battery,that hasn't been charged and it read 12.45 volts. I started up the 78 Elk and then it read 14.8 volts. With the hand held meter on the battery the volt meter in the cab stayed at 13; volts. When I took the hand held meter off it dropped down to the orange line. I put my hand on the activity wires holding it down and a little bit to the passenger side, it stayed up at 13 volts. I pushed a little bit to the driver's side and the volt meter dropped. So I'm going to have to clean up the wire ends and see what happens from there.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I tried to clean up the wire ends today.then I restarted it and the volt meter went down lower. I hear a metal rattling sound. I plan to take it out tomorrow and have the NAPA Store look at it.

Reactions: melloelky

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!