Possible bad volt gauge

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
Well, i have been having problems with my battery going dead after it sits. If you remeber i posted about it along time ago. Well, with my work habits (USMC Infantry) i just finally got around to really looking for my problem.

I went and hooked up a test light in the system and started to pull fuses and wires to find my draw. Well, wouldn't you know that the draw was coming from my voltage gauge. I fixed that issue and created another or just highlighted this issue. It seems that my gauge likes to read around 11-12.5 for some reason. I took it to Autozone to get it tested and this is what i found out. The alt was putting out 174 amps and around 13.75-14.3 volts. So it looks like the alt is good. Then they tested the battery and it looks like it is good. But, i have my doubts about the Optima Red Top battery. I have read that alot of poeple are on the 4th and even 6th battery. I am actually on my 3rd on myself.

I am wondering if my battery is really junk or my gauge is bad. I am going to get another gauge and mount it and see what it reads. If it reads the same then i am stumped. If not then i am going to swap out the battery. I am just tired of driving around not knowing if it is going to start for me. I have been carrying my jumper cables with my just in case. Well, what do you all think about it? ](*,)

Eric

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Optima red top A = low voltage.

Brand new Optima red top = voltage where it's supposed to be.

Throw a multimeter on there and you'll have your answer.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I just installed my volt meter. I put a switch in between the positive wire. 12 volts with car turned off. 14.2 with car running. I have a one wire alternator which does not begin charging until around 1200 rpms. It continues charging until the alternator stops turning.

DSCF1755.jpg

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
mine as of lately has been giving me fits. I was at the track and was having a voltage issue. Mine is losing volts when I step on the brakes. I lose about 1 volt (at the gauge) when I press on the brakes. still have not figured this one out.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
You know what i have been having the same issue with my car. When i step on the brakes i too loose about one volt. I haven't figured this one out either. I am going to a shop that specializes in car electronics tomorrow and maybe they will know something.

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
for me Im sure its one of 3 things. where I have the guage plugged in. or alternator getting weak or battery getting weak.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts