Possible driveshaft issues

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Kinda makes me wonder about the pressure plate or flywheel as well. If it barely vibrates when it's at one spot, but worse at another, my mind tells me there may be an imbalance somewhere else as well, that either compounds the vibration or eliminates it. My thoughts go with the disc itself or something inside the trans possibly being out of balance, then the pressure plate or flywheel being out of balance. You may be able to have the pressure plate and flywheel checked for balance if everything looks to be intact.

A

Anonymous

formikec said:
You say it didn't vibrate with the T350. To me that signals a possible issue with the manual or flywheel/clutch. I'd ask for a rebalance of the driveshaft for free, then look hard at the transmission/flywheel.

I would remove the flywheel/clutch and check for any issues, burns, warpages or cracks.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
t5montecarlo said:
Do you have any reason to suspect a defect in the disc, such as from abuse?

:lol: :lol: Well I do drive my car, and you cant just putt around [-X I quite often shift very quick :D Actually had a guy at a car show that thought it was an auto because I shifted so quick :shock:

So I guess the answer to your question is yes, it is abused from time to time :D

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Ok so I have another stupid question. I currently have a diaphram style clutch. Can I switch to a Borg & Beck style? Should I switch? what are the pros/cons to each style. Never understood the two different styles :roll:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've never really looked into this myself until now. Looks like diaphragm is the most common to the street (& easiest on your leg), the other two (Borg & Beck and Long) are more performance-oriented, and have the capability of 'centrifugal assist', where it applies more clamping force with higher rpm. I don't know what you're running for a power plant, but I've run an OE-replacement diaphragm clutch with my 350 (Vortecs, XE268 cam) and haven't had any slippage problems over the past 2 years... yet. I have noticed though if I'm hard on the gas and the tires grab in 2nd, it slips a little, only for a split second.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I put a CenterForce Dual Friction in my big-block ElCamino and love it. It's a little pricy, but you get what you pay for. Easy on the leg, but clamps like a vice and doesn't slip. Just my .02, Lee

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Well I guess my dilema is what to get. Assuming that once I get it out and see that it need to be replaced. I onyl have about 300hp right now. I will upgrade at some point in the future, But nothing crazy, probably about 375hp. I dont have any slippage issues now with a stock NAPA replacement. BUT I want a QUALITY unit that wont vibrate and be able to withstand me :D I was thinking Centerforce, Hays, or Zoom. But what about the different styles, Should I just stay with the diaphram style?

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
centreforce d/f clutches are shyte go and have one made with stronger springs and a better friction material. Had nothing but problems with them and I will never buy another. If you do get one make sure that you never hold it in as the fingers will break off.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts