03 5.3 #7 cyl went bad need suggestions on a rebuild

malibu mouse

Amateur Racer
Feb 15, 2009
St louis,Mo
I have a 03 ext cab z71 with a 5.3 #7 cyl went bad . I have replaced the engine with a used one. So i paid the core fee and kept my original engine i bought the truck new and want to rebuild the original engine . I have not done much with these late model sbc on rebuilding them. Does anyone have any suggestions one a good rebuild as far as parts any suggestions would be appreciated.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
i rebuilt a stock 6.0L in a 99 pickup a few years ago. It had bad piston slap (wore out skirts) and lost a lobe off of the stock roller cam. I recomend getting good quality pistons with the tallest skirts that will fit.
What happened to the #7 cylinder?
brian

malibu mouse

Amateur Racer
Feb 15, 2009
St louis,Mo
I havnt tore it down yet but it only has 5 lbs of compression in it and it was blowing the dipstick out . 67,000 miles and have run mobil 1 synthetic. The owner of the machine shop told me that he has seen several with bad pistons and that he thinks that the cyl bore wasnt true and when that happens that particular cylinder gets hot but it doesnt show on the temp guage so that was his theory on the bad piston.

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer
Have it bored to the standard ls1 bore size, that way you have more choices for pistons, then have the heads machined for
the 2in intake valves, change the cam and you have an iron ls1.
Also dont be afraid of these late model engines, other than the torque to yeld bolts they are really easy to
work on.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
D&A Machine Shop said:
Have it bored to the standard ls1 bore size, that way you have more choices for pistons, then have the heads machined for
the 2in intake valves, change the cam and you have an iron ls1.
Also dont be afraid of these late model engines, other than the torque to yeld bolts they are really easy to
work on.

Yup, what he said. 5.3's are great engines b/c most of the time you can find them dirt cheep, and they have the capability of being bored out quite a bit and with a bigger crank I believe you can get them out into the 38x CID range if I'm not mistaken.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts