1980 malibu LS swap project

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
ive been updating the build thread on tech, kinda forgot i had one on here as well(dont come on the site much)

i put in alot of work this past week/weekend, got alot checked off the "to do" list :D

-got the Power Steering squared away: i used a 2000 camaro pressure hose - i ended up rotating the end that goes to the box and tweaked it a little and it fits good. for the return i used the stock malibu fitting with a new piece of hose.

-cooling system: i used an F-body radiator, the upper and lower camaro hoses work fine (i trimmed @ 1in off the radiator side of the lower hose) and some 3/4 and 5/8's heater hose.

-wiring: i tied up most of the loose ends, hooked up the MIL(luckily the 80 and later 'Bu has a provision for a check engine light so it looks factory). i plan to move the battery to the trunk and mount the switch when i get the car back from having the exhaust welded up. i also need to wire up the cooling fans, the line lock, and the cable-x box

-mounted and pumbed the trans cooler

-bled the brakes

-put the dash back together

all in all it was a long weekend but the car atleast looks like its made progress, here are a few pics:

engine compartment getting there
DSC02643.jpg

DSC02642.jpg

DSC02639.jpg

interior looks stock :D :D :D
DSC02648.jpg

gauges in the glovebox
DSC02647.jpg

DSC02637.jpg

tach/shiftlight(painted it shadow blue to match the interior and help hide it a little(not sure if thats gonna work lol)
DSC02636.jpg

MIL light
DSC02638.jpg

pkstang

Daily Driver
Nov 28, 2011
central mass
car looks great... thanks for the update

can you share soe pics of how exactly you routed the harness both in the engine bay as well as inside the car?

paul

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
pkstang said:
car looks great... thanks for the update

can you share soe pics of how exactly you routed the harness both in the engine bay as well as inside the car?

paul

i didnt really take any pictures of the wiring, i ended up using an engine harness from PSI conversions - cut it up and modified it to integrate the malibu engine harness so it looks factory. i sent @ 8 wires into the car through the hole for the speedo cable (i have a cable-x box to run the factory speedometer so theres no cable going to the trans)

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
computer will be in the engine compartment where the battery used to be

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
some more updates! i busted my *ss today, got alot of stuff done and it was so worth it!!

-relocated the battery to the trunk
-mounted the battery cut-off switch
-finished wiring the cooling fans
-cleaned up the rest of the wiring under the hood
-mounted the ECM and fuse panels
-installed a set of BellTech 2inch drop spindles and did an alignment
-bolted on a set of centerline telstars

and.... then i drove it home!!! :D :D :D
ive put about 40 miles on it so far, aside from the idle being kinda low(which my tuner will hopefully fix on the dyno in the next week or so) and the summit brand coolant temp gauge being like 30* off(my scanner will have to do for now) the car drives great! has great highway manners, runs pretty cool @ 185-195*

i still need to hook up the cable X box for the speedometer(my scan tool works great for that temporarily too lol) and wire up the line lock, but driving a fresh build for the first time never gets old.

IMG_20120317_183951.jpg

i think the stance is perfect(maybe might get a set of 1inch drop springs for the rear after i get a set of 275 ET streets for the back) handles good for having the stock V6 suspension from 1980 (definately needs a rear sway bar)

ill post some pictures tomorrow when its light out of everything.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I've been doing a similar LS install on my wagon but went with the 6-speed instead. I also used the BRP kit which worked out great.

http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=111467
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=111513

I'm about to tackle the cooling system and you say that you used an F-body radiator. Did you have to do much modification to make it fit? Did you use the F-body electric fans too? What did you use for the top radiator support? Thanks!

Scott

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!