4.8LS no fire in the hole!

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
I acquired a 4.8ls from a wrecked 02 silverado i got everything with it pretty much and put it in a 83 malibu wagon i send the wiring harness to jesse at Wait4meperformance where they deleted all the unecessary emissions codes and what not.

i layed out the harness yesterday got it on the motor got everything plugged in except for the O2 sensors which i need to get my exhaust installed and weld in some skullys. And i apparently never got the MAF sensor so from the entire harness i just have those hanging out. i figured it would at least start but maybe not run perfect.

So i noticed there were 3 grounds off the harness 2 went to the bellhousing and 1 was down low in the front of the motor which i grounded to the motor.

I had 3 wires from the harness that needed switched 12v power where i wired them into where the power went for the HEI only other major wire was a constant power for the altenator or maybe the computer memory which i ran to the battery.

So i have it turning over via the key i have tons of spark through the coils into the wire that shocked me good. I hot wired the fuel pump which is one of those MSD efi pump i primed the system and bled the air at the schrader valve and tried to start it...

crank crank crank nothing... so i yanked the fuel rails and drained the fuel looked at the orifice of the injector and cleaned them and also checked at the injector connection that it has power which is does.

Now i dont have a noid tester so i cant rule out if there functioning properly but i have spark and i have fuel right up to injectors its just like they arent working??

i dumbed some raw gas into the throttle body and it flash right up for a few seconds.

Now the motor has sit since 2002 and i thought maybe the injectors could be gummed up or stuck?? but they should be full of clean fuel now.

Anyone point me where to look?

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
Update:

I hot wired the pump (msd2225) and primed the fuel system i bled it at the schrader valve and tried it.... nothing..... just cranks and cranks..

i have tons of spark, i checked the injector with the tester noid and they are pulsing.

only thing i can think of at this time is that the injectors are completely gummed up with old fuel from sitting ( unlikely that all 8 are to the point of not letting fuel through )

or the pump even though it produces 40psi just isnt enough to get it to open. I have heard that they require 60psi but people also claim they are running the pump i am .

i have a handful of wires that i havent connected yet and they include the obd2 wire, oil pressure guage, fuel pump relay, tach, and 2 others.

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
the injectors were getting pulse but were so plugged up they wouldnt allow fuel in i boiled them twice and put it all back together and it fired right up and runs perfect

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts