4speed swap with a 454

zapc

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2010
yes i am lazy lazy lazy lol to do a search, have an 84 elcamino with a 454, looking to swap to a 4speed,
what is so unique about the bell housings for a gbody, and what exactly do I need now that its for a bigblock and and 11" clutch and 168 tooth flywheel part #s if possible

thanx

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Depends on If your running headers or not? Full length or Shorty?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
If you can wait a while (mid-spring), I am selling my COMPLETE 4-speed transmission to switch over to a TH400. I know, I know, a lot of people are going the other way, but honestly, I really don't want to shift my car anymore. I've been driving a manual trans car since 1997 every single day (daily drivers and such). I'm just sick of it. I just want to put her in drive and GO!!!
My car's a BBC, and I'm selling every single thing at once...every bracket, pedal assembly, etc.
Muncie M21, Centerforce dual friction clutch, API approved scattershield, etc....all top notch stuff, and probably only 8-10K miles (if that). It has the old-school Hurst V-gate shifter, too (some people don't like it, but it's cool).

zapc

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2010
not running headers, its a monster without them, its got a turbo 400 in it now, this is my toy and keep thinking about a 4spd, can u at least tell me what u got to make it work malicad?

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
You need a g body fork, which is shaped differently, a g body bellhousing, different pivot ball location, then a pedal setup with linkage and z bar. They sell the pedals and linkage repop. online. I only asked BC running the z bar with full length headers is a b*tch. You can even use your current crossmember and transmission mount. The swap your attempting is identicle to mine, just that I had no choice but to convert to hydraulic after months of trying to get the linkage to work

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Also I assume your thinking along the lines of T-10 or a muncie. Muncies use a 68-72 A body shifter for g bodies

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
malicad said:
If you can wait a while (mid-spring), I am selling my COMPLETE 4-speed transmission to switch over to a TH400. I know, I know, a lot of people are going the other way, but honestly, I really don't want to shift my car anymore. I've been driving a manual trans car since 1997 every single day (daily drivers and such). I'm just sick of it. I just want to put her in drive and GO!!!
My car's a BBC, and I'm selling every single thing at once...every bracket, pedal assembly, etc.
Muncie M21, Centerforce dual friction clutch, API approved scattershield, etc....all top notch stuff, and probably only 8-10K miles (if that). It has the old-school Hurst V-gate shifter, too (some people don't like it, but it's cool).

Since 97? Man that's a long time!! Sorry I just can't help myself!! Probably the Vertigate makin you want to change!! They're great for the quarter but on the street I'll take a Super Shifter any day!! To each his own but you might get bored with an Auto I know I am on the street anyway,you probably don't want to know how many standard trans cars and trucks I've had since 76??? Let's just say 90% and I've had a bunch,anyway whenever you get ready I'm always interested in four speeds and such,let me know what you have and how much you're lookin to get,Later,KillerDave

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I know I'll get a lot of ^%$* for the changeover. True, manuals are a lot of fun. Today, I'm still driving one (my daily driver 04 SRT-4 which I bought new). And, for that particular car, it's nice. Clutch takeup is superb, pedal effort is practically nonexistant, and I can launch at whatever rpm I feel like. I get it. I really do. Nothing beats rowing the gears in a big block-equipped car. Well, except that deeper first gear in a TH400, compared to my M21. And more consistant shifting. And quicker shifting of the automatic. I know, only 3 speeds compared to 4. Well, when I screw up and miss a shift (yeah, it happens to all of us), that similar car with the TH400 just lurched ahead 4 car lengths. OMG! I just realized why I want to switch. Last season, I had my SRT-4 at my local track, and I was paired up against this backwards-wearing-baseball capped pimple-faced teen toting his (presumably father-owned) new Mustang GT. He told me I had a nice NEON with a laugh. I said it was a Neon, till I'd beat him, then he would tell his friends he was beat by an SRT-4, not a Neon. I was running 13.4 to 13.6 all night. I knew what they ran stock. I missed third, and ran somewhere around a 13.8 or so. He beat me, running around a 13.6 or something. Then he rode my azz all the way back in the return lane. YUP, thats the reason I want an automatic. Or just learn to drive stick!! LOL

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts