6.0 injection question

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
I have a 6.0 i have been planning to put in my car as soon as im a little more financially secure lol.I was planning on a head and cam swap and better rods and pistons for about 11.0 to 1 comp.And it was going to be carbed.Well this week my brother totalled his 2000 silverado so i wondered if i could use the computer and wiring harness and the complete fuel injection system off it.Only problem is its a 5.3 so i wonder if all the parts will work.I didnt get an intake or maf or anything with my motor so i would have to use everything from the 5.3.Will this work on a pretty highly modded 6.0.Thanks Tim

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
OK so carbed it is! I guess ill have a complete wiring harness and injection system with computer for sale.

8secChevy

Amateur Racer
Jun 28, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
You can use it, but you would need to have it reworked to get rid of the anti theft, etc. that you wouldnt need for your app. The computer would just have to be setup for your combo. I have been researching this as well I want to put a 6.0 in my camaro. Checkout ls1tech.com their is a company called speartech that can rework, and reflash your computer. I'm leaning towards carb myself because I already have a built 700 and stall in the car. If I didnt already have a trans I would use the computer, and put a 4l65 or 4l80 behind it and have the computer work everything. You can do it without a computer controlled trans I just dont want to try to get everything in sync with a computer controlled engine and a cable controlled trans.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I had a carb and FI now, the FI is so much better, idles at 600, gets great MPG, and is cheaper to do.

8secChevy

Amateur Racer
Jun 28, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
I agree FI is is more efficient, but I dont think its cheaper. I have seen the intake and ignition controller for a carb for less than $700. Its gonna cost you that much to get your FI harness sorted out & reflashed. Also what it would cost to setup your fuel system for FI, possible new tank, pump, return line, and fittings. I am gonna keep all the electronics to possibley do it down the line, but I already have a carb and a fuel system thats ready to feed a carb setup now.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
8sec, I beg to differ with your annalysis of how much it'll cost on the wiring harness. You can have somebody do it here: http://www.wait4meperformance.com jesse does it for 360 plus shipping there. Then he'll fedex it back, completely done, and with computer flashed to your specs. The fuel system can be done by sumping the tank, 45 bucks from summit and welded on, and an inline fuel pump for another 200 or so from places like http://www.ls1tech.com where people are always upgrading.

Either way good luck, but when I did mine and kept FI, it was well worth the little bit of extra money!

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
I guess Jeese @ wait4me gives out prices depending on how hes feeling that day or how slow business is because he reworked my ls1 harness and reprogrammed the computer for under 300 bucks, and my setup runs flawlessly! Speartech is literally STICKING it to people(pun intended)!

8secChevy

Amateur Racer
Jun 28, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
Believe me I would love to keep the FI, but I dont have a trans to go with it. By the time I got a trans, had the harness reworked, and did the fuel system it would be alot more $ than just throwing a carb on it and going. If I get what I want for my 383 then I may do FI. I dont plan on doing the swap till I sell the 383 anyway its alot easier to sell while its still in the car and running. I was just pointing out that it depends on what you already have as opposed to what you would need money wise to go FI.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I believe it is because I had to have alot of extra stuff done with the harness to make it work for my application, but it only took him 2 days when he recieved it, so I couldn't moan over it.

as for the transmission problem, remember that when you swap to an old school, and correct me if I'm wrong guys, that you have to change out torque converters and get an adapter plate for it anyway? I can't remember for sure, but I know that you def. need the spacer and it runs around 115 bucks, I know that the torque converters that I've seen run around 500...

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
i used a stock truck computer, harness...100
walbro external pump 100
high pressure hose and fittings 50.00
odd ball sensors 100
odd ball wiring stuff 50
brother did the harness and tuned the computer...saved alot of $$$

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!