6-71 vs 8-71 for BBC?

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Given this is not going to be a race car I'll be the only one in this thread to throw up a caution about doing anything bigger than it needs to be. Bigger blowers CAN make more power but they definitely suck more power, take up more real estate and are less responsive in the lower RPMs (don't build boost as quickly at lower RPMs). Not always a happy combination on a non-race car.

To put things in perspective, please consider the difference in displacement between a 6-71 and an 8-71. The ancient but venerated numbering scheme might lead the uninitiated to think that the 8-71 has 33% more displacement per revolution. 8 is 33% more than 6, right?

Unfortunately, that's not the case. A 6-71 displaces a theoretical volume of 411 cubic inches of air per revolution. An 8-71 displaces 436 ci per revolution. That's a difference of ONLY 6%. (It's a positive displacement pump, please remember, not a compressor, so this is a very relevant number- no compressor maps or any of that crazyness to worry about.) How important is that 6% to you given that a pulley change can easily make up most of that difference and also give you a little better low RPM responsiveness?

Not going to suggest one over the other becuase the difference is so slight there isn't much to argue about either way. I'm just saying that you are not going to be putting yourself at any significant power disadvantage by going with the smaller unit, especially something that isn't going to be purpose-built for racing. You won't run a 6-71 out of lungs on that combo and you won't get a huge power increase by going with the bigger 8-71, either. Your call.

just plain john

Daily Driver
Jul 22, 2008
Pasadena TX
If this is to be a streeter like you say, all the expensive go fast parts aren't going to be that much help, will it? A sub 1.5 short time is great, but you won't need it to wow the local Dairy Queen import crowd. For that you need visiuals, and while any blower through the hood looks cool, IMHO a bigger one would do that better than a smaller one.

hp3445

Amateur Racer
Jan 25, 2009
Southern NJ
I appreciate all the input.. I am still learning on this whole 6-71 vs 8-71 combos.
the 6-71 set up will cost about a $1000 less and if I can get the same seat of the pants reaction, I can be happy with that. I just like doing things half@#sed. I don't want to say.. I should have went bigger. and yeah it's not going to see the track on a regular basis.. it will be more of a weekend cruiser deal. Still haven't made the purchase yet but probably summer or winter of 2010.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts