8.5 build question

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I would say if you were doing some kind of special deal where you HAD to use the original rear for the era...chop away. Is this origianl Grand National car? If not then go fo rhte gusto. Again, YOU must do what you feel is right for you. I am just here to give other opinions. Price out all the stuff you think you need for the 8.5 plus the cost of the 8.5 labor to assemble it. see how close you come to the 12 bolt moser rear. then PM me and see what I can get it done for. Ok? Jim

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
It a 79 Malibu my buddy is buidling the rear for me for next to nothing and I got the rear a few years ago for a really good price that is why I wanted to stick with it for now

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Sounds great. But I still think you should build it for the street sell it off and get what your car needs. Have you taken the car to the track yet? What times does it run and what are your 60 foot times. anything under 1.2 sixty foot you had better step up big time.

Good luck with the build. Sounds like the decision is made and that is fine. Just take your time on the build and I am sure it will all come out great. Jim

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
No thats just it my mind is not made up I was just stating my situation and I am taking your advice into serious consideration ..The car has yet to be at the track it is currently a work in progress ....The GN rear right now has a rebuilt diff new Moser c clip axles and disc brakes with the tubes welded with 3.73 's..so I should be able to get decent money for that .....

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Geez, I would run that in the car and sell it that way. When people can actually see it run and listen to it that will be a easy sale. Jim

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I am only concerned of the low ned torque in the 60 foot area. That is where the rear will have to hold. Once it is moving there is not much too it anymore. The inital shock

So stall speed and a dyno sheet are my best friends in telling you what your rearend will take. If you have 500+ foot pounds of torque in before 2500 rpms watch out. OR if your stalling in where the enigines torque out put is more than 500ft pounds again that concerns me on the rear diff.

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
zexel-torsen posi unit, probably one of the strongest units out there and reasonable
(about 300 bucks) and you can get them with thirty spline for your 8.5.
http://www.zexel-torsen.com reider racing carries them

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts