8.5" or Ford 9"

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
Here's my dilema: The Ford 9" currently mocked up in my Malibu is about 57-1/2" wide measured from outer axle flange to outer axle flange. With a 15x10" rim and 5.5 backspacing it looks like I'll only have about 3/4" to 1" of clearance between rim and frame rail. (I'm notched and mini-tubbed) However....I also have a 8.5" Gn rear I'm pulling out of my Elky before we part it out. That rear (8.5") should give me enough clearance on each side (because it's wider than the 9") The 9" is nothing special, I had it made locally 6-7 years ago just never used it. It's made for a G-body, stock-resplined (31) axles, factory trac-lok center section w/3.50 gears. Offset pinion, (not to thrilled about that). For my combo the 8.5" is more than strong enough, and I already have a GN driveshaft stored away- don't have a driveshaft for the 9" yet. For the rims I had originally planned to use, the 9" would work, but things change and the rims I now want would work better with the 8.5". So.....Should I just use the 8.5 and move on?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!