9 inch or 7.5

bigg502

Daily Driver
Sep 27, 2008
Loretto, Ky
would it be smarter for me to take the ford 9 inch that I can get for nothing just about and get one of the kits to weld the brackets on it but then I would have to cut down the axles and all that stuff that I ve never done before :-k
I,ve been a metal fabricator for about 10 years so the actuall welding the tabs on and stuff shouoldn't be that hard for me I just need some direction. Pinion angle's ect. And how much money am I looking at as a finished product. Or go the easy way and put 4:11 in the 7.5 mash the gas and hope for the best. I was wanting to go 4:11 and a spool either way because spinning one tire sucks.
Also would a posi out of a camaro or firebird work in a 7.5 ](*,)

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
If you put a 7.5 behind a 502 you are just wasting you time and money. "9 IN"
If you are a fabricater you shouldn't have any problems making your housing.

A

Anonymous

why waste time and money on a rear end designed for a 4cyl VEGA

A

Anonymous

the f body internals will work in your 7.5 housing as long as it's from an 82-87 car and its coming out of a 10 bolt rear not a 9 bolt.

I did this swap because I am on a meager budget and will never race my malibu.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
doubleomalibu said:
the f body internals will work in your 7.5 housing as long as it's from an 82-87 car and its coming out of a 10 bolt rear not a 9 bolt.

I did this swap because I am on a meager budget and will never race my malibu.
I think you`ll be ok racing your malibu just not with slicks.

Bigblockguy

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2008
ste Anne mb Canada
Do up the 9 inch. I ran a 7.5 with a mini spool for a while and every time you stage the car I would be thinking is this the launch that going to shatter the rear. I Swapped in the 9 inch and now that's the last thing I worry about. Now it's how much can I spray off the line and still keep the tires glued

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Bigblockguy said:
Do up the 9 inch. I ran a 7.5 with a mini spool for a while and every time you stage the car I would be thinking is this the launch that going to shatter the rear. I Swapped in the 9 inch and now that's the last thing I worry about. Now it's how much can I spray off the line and still keep the tires glued

SO true!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts