About to dive into the LS swap

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
So i have a 83 wagon that needs a motor and i came across a hell of a deal i found A 2003 4.8l out of silverado the motor is complete with harness/computer and it only has 12000k!! Now from what i gathered on here transdapt makes the mounts i need, the truck pan is what to get so im good, im running manifolds and no a/c

My biggest concern is the wiring aspect i have confidence in doing this swap and have friends who are very good with electrical work i will also be retaining the factory induction

for those of you with minimal LS knowledge how was the electrical part of the swap? Totally frustrating? Im sure those of you on here can help me along the swap

alowerlevel

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2008
South Jersey 08109
http://www.lt1swap.com/ has pretty much anything you need to know about the wiring.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Color blind guy here, and the wiring wasn't that bad, just follow what is said in the diagrams, if that one doesnt' work, on ls1tech the have a specific wiring diagram that shows what you can and cannot remove. The hardest part will be the reprogramming of the puter, get yourself efilive or hptuners and that way you can reprogram the computer when you delete stuff from the program. Thats all I can think of right now.

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
Ok so i picked up the motor today and im not sure if it is a 4.8L on the block it has 4.8/5.3 cast into the front and back of the block. I took the # off the rear of motor and i read up saying that it could be either or? now the heads are cast 862 does this help decipher it at all?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
There is usually a paint dot next to the casting mark where it says 4.8 and 5.3, the dot will indicate which engine it is.

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
front of the block has the same cast into it without any marking paint

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Well that blew my idea out of the water.... :roll: Maybe http://www.Mortec.com with the engine numbers will help? Or if worse comes to worse pull the heads and measure the bore. Sorry I couldnt help more.

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
The # on the back of the block was 12567393 i thibk off hand... But i did check mortec and it said that it could be either or? Checked the head casting also said either or and both available with alum heads

i have the vin might just go to gm see what they say

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!