About to dive into the LS swap

alowerlevel

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2008
South Jersey 08109
If you can see the pistons or if you put something in the sparkplug hole and feel around, if it has flat top pistons its a 4.8 if they are dished its a 5.3

6spdmalibu

Amateur Racer
Jun 25, 2009
Vancouver BC
StreetBu said:
Or if worse comes to worse pull the heads and measure the bore. .

The 4.8 and the 5.3 share the same size bore. They differ in the stoke.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I highly recommend Jesse at Wait4Me Performance. I sent him my harness and ECM. He strips out what you don't need in the harness, labels everything and reprograms your ECM. I paid $300, but he may have gone up some since then. I believe there were only 8 or so wires you have to connect externally, such as fuel pump, power, ground, tach, etc....

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
Well i got the harness today and it was the complete truck harness everything also got the comp as well. I can see why ppl might be overwelmed by this swap but when it comes time to actually doin the swap i will most likely send out the harness and comp like maliburacing has suggested.

ok got a few questions to.

can i swap the intake from an ls1 and does this effect the comp?

will the ls1/vette exhaust flow better then stocker truck manifolds and is there any i should look for to fit the gbody?

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
By memory, The truck manifolds flowed better than the car ones, thats why people use them on the turbo swap...

You can swap the intake from the ls1, yes, but you'll also need to swap the fuel rails, injectors, have the wiring harness adjusted for the different injectors, rework the top of the waterpump....its a whole lot of work, and there are a few ways to do it:

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=359987&highlight=ls6+intake

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=357424&highlight=ls6+intake

HTH

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
I have been reading up tons about LS motors and if it wasn't for building another 406 i would really consider doing a 6L swap!.

thanks for that reply

ok got another question about transmission/bellhousing, I noticed that the block has 5/6 holes for the transmission to bolt up but what do you do about the odd ball that isn't drilled? i think its the passenger 2nd from bottom?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Leave it empty..

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
Just wondering what i do about the transmission/converter and how to match tgem up?? I read about some kit u can order??

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
get a ls specific convertor or a ls swap flywheel from tci etc...its your choice which road you take..

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
I think i will probably get the flexplate i checked tci's website but never found the part #? can anyone point me

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!