Air bag pressure?

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Malibu355 said:
Should I use the airbags with trick springs? I dont have trick spring but maybe one day...
I was told never use air bags with trick springs. Trick springs come with different spring rates. The passenger side spring is stiffer and shorter to compinsate for the hit on launch. {Car should leave level}. I just put Moroso springs in my wagon with Qa1 shocks. Haven't run the car yet but will see in the Spring!

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
Garage Hound said:
WOW. You guys are running these things pretty stiff. I tried mine that high once and the car wouldn't hardly squat into the launch and was all over the place.

My suggestion for a starting point: 7.5 lbs DS / 12.0 lbs PS then test, check psi, test, check psi, etc.

Above is using CE 3-ways and stock (new) springs w/ 13.5 lbs in the MT Drag Radials.

Best for my set-up anyway.

But how hard are you launching and what spring are you running now..???

There is a difference in running a 13.0 car to a low 11.-10's.. ;)

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Malibuwagon80 said:
Malibu355 said:
Should I use the airbags with trick springs? I dont have trick spring but maybe one day...
I was told never use air bags with trick springs. Trick springs come with different spring rates. The passenger side spring is stiffer and shorter to compinsate for the hit on launch. {Car should leave level}. I just put Moroso springs in my wagon with Qa1 shocks. Haven't run the car yet but will see in the Spring!

i was told something similar about using bags with trick springs. the only reason i wanted to run them is to control how much it squats down as i don't have much tire clearance.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
I ran mine at 12-15 lbs. in the passenger side with a 1.58 60 ft. My car pulls the left front about 4-6 inches and it was twisting pretty bad before the bag and the torque rod to keep the motor from beating on the stock motor mounts...

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
I've had the best results with 18-20 in the pass. side bag. 1.57-1.62 60 feets leaving at 1400 off the footbrake with a th350. The trick springs are already "compensated for" so should not need bags.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Dont know if it will really drop your 60 ft much... It might make you a bit more consistent and make the car a bit more predictable to launch. If you aren't running solid motor mounts a turnbuckle would be a good addition... If you want to drop your 60 ft. you could flash the converter from idle instead of loading it. Prob. a little harder on equipment but I pull in to my staging lights and clean up the idle to just about 1000 or 1100 (that way I use all my acc. pump shot on launch itself) and hit the converter just as the third yellow hits. Its hell trying to take up 2000+ rpms and be clean on the tree, gotta work on that next season once I quit changing the car up chasing a low 7 pass...

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
lol thats funny cuz i have been chasing a 7.5xx pass all year and finally got some. also has a few run ins with broken parts but it happens. im trying to run 7.50 index class this year and some summit brackets.

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
I believe that you're ready for a bag and some stiffer arms. The flimsy arms and mushy old bushings are not helping ya' at this level. You could also start to research altering the IC geometry. I would bet that with some suspension work you'd get your 60' around 1.50-1.55. That would knock 2-5 tenths off the et. Do one at a time (starting with the bag) to get to the 7.5 index you're after.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
someone pmed me a IC diagram, but I seem to have deleted or buried it... Anyone got one to pm me??

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts