alternator wiring ????

StrokerMooBoo

Weekend Racer
Sep 4, 2006
North Port fl
well got the car started and running now just need to hook up alt. this is on a 79 bu. the brown wire go up to the dash the red goes??? and what about the stud on the back should anything hook up there?? tia

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The post on the back goes to the battery, and so does the 10ga. wire that plugs into the top with the smaller brown wire (if you're redoing all the wiring you can just tie that one with the plug into the post on the back to save on some wiring). The brown one goes to the 'charge/alt' light in the gauge panel, but can also just go to an ignition-switched source (I've read to not use the same lead as the coil power wire, something to do with the high voltage of the coil being in close proximity I believe).

StrokerMooBoo

Weekend Racer
Sep 4, 2006
North Port fl
so i can atach the red wire to the post and then run wire from post to battery? and batt. is in trunk what guage wire should i run back?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
On the standard 10 SI Delcotron alternator, that big red wire from the plug actually needs to be hooked up to the main harness wire that feeds everything, (it should have been in that 4 wire harness that came up the intake from the firewall harness?) it is the "sense" wire for system voltage. When you attach that wire to the output post on the alternator, you could be cheating the system out of the amperage needed to keep up with accessory loads. Some Olds, Cadillacs, Buicks, and other later (mid 80's up) GM cars with the big 12 SI alternator used that wire, in that manner, not sure if that regulator was a touch different, or if the load was sensed in a different manner.
Now the question is, and I'd need to refresh myself, whether when the output is wired to the battery, the sense wire to system load could keep the car running when the switch is turned off. ????

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts